Woodmaster 725 - 25" Planer / Drum Sander

woodmaster725.jpg

I bought this used Woodmaster model 725, 25" Planer with Drum Sander attachment a couple of weekends back. I went to my first auction because my cousin told me about it, and it was a woodworking business that was selling out. I just went there to see if I could get a great deal on the 25" planer, I figured the bidding would get way out of hand, and I would come home empty handed. I went early so I could try it out to make sure everything was good. It worked like a charm, plus it had two extra set of blades ($160 value), 25" Drum Sander attachment (worth $355)(which effectively turns it into a thickness sander), the 6" Dust Chute ($108 retail), etc. It even had the reverse kit, so you can reverse the direction of feed when sanding.

First off, the auction went great for the buyers, almost everything was dirt cheap, and good quality. So, it was hard to not bid on a lot of things because I didn't want to spend too much money so I could try to get the big planer. I set myself a limit of 900 dollars, because I wanted to either get a great deal, or I wasn't buying. I have been saving up for my new shop and didn't really want to spend any of the money, but if I could get a great deal, heck, it would be the centerpiece of my shop. When the dust settled, I ended up being the highest bidder at $825 dollars, I was happy, but at the same time I was in my little S-10 truck, and was thinking, *** have I done and how will I get this huge planer in my truck? Luckily I helped some other guys, so they in turn helped me.. thank god!! lol I later called Woodmaster to find out that it had the Pro Pak and it would cost me around 4 thousand dollars to get a new one to my door.. so maybe it wasn't a bad deal.

Anyway, I think I got a pretty good deal considering what all it will do. It set my plans back for a shop a couple of months more, but I had to jump on this deal. Do you guys think I made a mistake?

:D

I've got an S-10 too man. Love the little thing!

Anyways, you got away with a steal there, looks real nice. I wish I had just a drum sander/thicknesser, like a Performax one. That thing is massive though, hope you're got space for it. :D Plus, you got an extra 75$ to spend now B)

Lucky man, looks awesome!

Chris

Congrats, Matt! I think you made the right call.

Sounds a bit like me, though, buying tools and having no workshop to put them in. :D

Mike

Actually I asked if I could store it at my cousin's shop after he told me about it.. lol.. So I knew I'd have a place to put it. We moved earlier this year and I'm shopless, thus I haven't build many guitars lately.. :D But, hopefully by October or sooner I'll have one up. I really think this was a deal I couldn't pass up, especially since it will do thickness sanding, that will cut my sanding time down considerably. It's the kind of tool I can build a great shop around, unfortunately I got it before the shop..haha

:D

I've got an S-10 too man. Love the little thing!

Anyways, you got away with a steal there, looks real nice. I wish I had just a drum sander/thicknesser, like a Performax one. That thing is massive though, hope you're got space for it. B) Plus, you got an extra 75$ to spend now B)

Lucky man, looks awesome!

Chris

Yeah, and it would barely fit sideways in the truck, and the guy whose things was getting auctioned off, acted like he was pissed, because he thought he'd get at least 2,500 out of it. I asked him if I could leave it until tomorrow, and he didn't seem to like that idea... lol It was hard to let the other deals pass, simply because I didn't want to spend all my shop money..haha Here's some of the deals people got.

3,000 dollars worth of heavy duty clamps in all sizes for 300 dollars.

A brand new Delta 14" X series bandsaw went for $210 dollars.

Industrial Rockwell/Delta Radial Armsaw with 10 ft table, $175 dollars.

Too much to list..

But if you want some good deals I highly recommend hitting Auctions in your area.