Craftsman 3d Sander

fookgub

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...p;bidsite=CRAFT

Any used this or a similar tool? I was thinking it could make short work of sanding out arm and belly contours. I think you get locked into special sanding discs, but Sears sells 280 through 1000 grit discs for it and the prices aren't bad. Whaddya think?

Edited by fookgub

At one time I used the 3D Sander for sanding the back of the neck after it was carved, but I haven't in a while. It's a nice tool to have though, I'm not saying not to buy it, but to do a belly contour, and arm contour, I'd just draw out marks on top and side, then use a belt sander to make quick work of it. I'm talking quick, and I have also just used a drum sander attachment mounted in a cordless drill for the belly contour. Either way will do the job faster. There are a million ways to do a job, just find out what works best for you and is not only quick, but gives you great results. The 3D Sander would do a good job on light sanding though in some instances.

I was planning to rough out the contours with an angle grinder or belt sander, and I was wondering more about the 3D sander's suitibility for cleanup and finish work. I was planning to use epoxy grainfiller, so anything that can help sanding that back out would be nice. Can it follow curves well enough to do that kind of stuff, or would I be better off just sanding it by hand?

double post... oops

Edited by fookgub