Lp Top Question

So a les paul body is 2" thick at the edge with 1/4" binding and a 1/2" carve; maple top is 3/4"

correct?

Does the fingerboard usually line up flush with the pickup plane? ie. the neck angle cut ends exacly where the fingerboard ends?

because if it does it means theres a really steep neck angle:

hypotenuse = 3.125 inces (approx)(length of fingerboard extending over body)

rise = 1/2" (assuming that the bottom of the fretboard will be flat on the body from the edge binding on)

sin=rise/hypotenuse

sin=0.5/3.125

sin=.16

angle= 9.2 degrees

bridge height would be wild (not going to calculate)

min height on my tunomatic is 1/2inch

Solution:

a) extend neck angle cut beyond the fingerboard, deeper into the body

- pickup plane would begin between bridge pickup and neck pickup

b ) reduce the carve depth

Help please!

Edited by stenns

So a les paul body is 2" thick at the edge with 1/4" binding and a 1/2" carve; maple top is 3/4"

correct?

Does the fingerboard usually line up flush with the pickup plane? ie. the neck angle cut ends exacly where the fingerboard ends?

because if it does it means theres a really steep neck angle:

hypotenuse = 3.125 inces (approx)(length of fingerboard extending over body)

rise = 1/2" (assuming that the bottom of the fretboard will be flat on the body from the edge binding on)

sin=rise/hypotenuse

sin=0.5/3.125

sin=.16

angle= 9.2 degrees

bridge height would be wild (not going to calculate)

min height on my tunomatic is 1/2inch

Solution:

a) extend neck angle cut beyond the fingerboard, deeper into the body

- pickup plane would begin between bridge pickup and neck pickup

b ) reduce the carve depth

Help please!

• 3 weeks later...

K I have another question, this time in regards to a pickup plane/neck plane carving method. Ive heard of some people using a router and a jig to create the neck angle

http://home.asparagine.net/ant/blog/?page_id=10

a table saw (possibly impossible for me as the body has already been roughed out):

http://www.geocities.com/ccbryan/BuildLesPaul.html

and a hand plane:

http://www.mimf.com/

Because I probably cannot use a table saw and my router is on the junky side, Im thinking of using a hand plane, but am having trouble understanding John Catto's procedure:

Edited: Stenns, the text you posted is taken from the mimf library, and cannot be reproduced without permission - each library page is marked "No portion of this document may be reproduced by any print, electronic, or broadcast media without the express written permission of every author quoted."

As such I have deleted the text. Likewise, the link you posted will not work, since the library is only available to mimf members who are logged on.

-Setch.

He doesnt mention it, but Im assuming he would use the plane to create the pickup plane before carving the top, no?

The part that is bold/italic is the part which i do not understand.

Which method does everyone reccomend?

Thanks!

Maple tops on LPs are 5/8 inch thick.

It might be easier to calculate the inverse sine using the string height and bridge.

Maple tops on LPs are 5/8 inch thick.

It might be easier to calculate the inverse sine using the string height and bridge.

Ah yes fryovanni and I have cleared that all up. He drew me a fancy autocad file. Now all I need to know is how to go about actually carving the angle :D