Ryobi Router Busted, New Dewalt Dw621 Ordered

Drak

Well, after my 4th Ryobi router in 12 years just busted about an hour ago, I went upscale and ordered a nice DeWalt 2 HP plunge router online about 5 minutes ago.

I'm down ( :D ) until it gets here, I use my router almost every single day for something. :D

I -really- liked the Ryobi's grips, and I always knew they were a lower scale router, but I liked it a lot anyway.

The DeWalt seems like a very sweet router, it has 1/2" ability as well as the standard 1/4", a great dust evacuation system, high quality plunge system, and some other nice stuff.

DeWalt Router Link-ey

I have this one. clicky

I keep the fixed base mounted in my router table and pop the motor out and use the plunge base when I'm not using the table. When I bought it from sears they gave me this mail in thing to get a free D-handle base for it. :D

Great little router. Feels very solid in your hands. Not alot of vibration and is nice and quiet.

Deffinitly a great purchase :D

Edited by Godin SD

Suh-weet!

I've got the same Ryobi router as you, the one at home depot correct? Yeah, I hardly use it now that i've bought the Dewalt DW618, it's great! I don't really need a plunge router (might as well use my forstner bits for something :D ), so it works perfect. Good bits are a lot of the routers performance though! B)

Sweet deal, hope it works out for you (and let this be a lesson to all you guys thinking about Ryobi :D )

Peace,

Chris

I use the plunge function pretty much ALL the time. I have a very nice Makita 2HP fixed base that will probably never die, but it hardly ever gets used because I use the plunge so often, I wind up just using the Makita for hogging out control cavities, that's about all it sees these days.

But with the DeWalt's 1/2" collet abilities, even that function may be over for the Makita, as I can use even bigger 1/2" shank hogger bits now. :DB):D

Edited:

You know it's funny, when the Ryobi broke, I considered myself totally without a router, even tho I have the Makita. Because in my head, it doesn't even count, and it's a NICE router, but not a plunge router, and that makes all the difference to me.

Funny, I had settled in my head that I'd be down a few days until it arrives, that's how little credit I give a fixed base router anymore. :D

that's how little credit I give a fixed base router anymore. :D

Darn. Now I'm going to have to replace my 25 year old Craftsman fixed base router. It seem technology has moved on since that one was a pup.

I keep the fixed base mounted in my router table and pop the motor out and use the plunge base when I'm not using the table

Same thing I do with my Bosch although it would be nice to have a 2nd plunge base for the Myka overarm setup I'm building.

Mattia, I too thought I wouldnt use the plunge base, but I really find the ability to set a final depth and then use the graduated depth stop to make several small cuts up to that point very useful. The fixed base is great in my table, super solid.

Mattia, I too thought I wouldnt use the plunge base, but I really find the ability to set a final depth and then use the graduated depth stop to make several small cuts up to that point very useful. The fixed base is great in my table, super solid.

I find I can be plenty accurate with the fixed base; might also just be the 'playing with a new toy' factor. Fixed based routers do not exist over here, so I only had a Plunge for the first, well, 8 years of my guitarmaking obsession. And now I've got options.

I prefer fixed base routers too. I do have plunge routers ... sometimes they are just the right tool for the job, so I use them. But given the choice, I always go for the fixed base. They are smaller and lighter (therefore easier to control), and they are easier to adjust and are more stable. The best option is to get one of the package deals that are currently so common (with both fixed and plunge bases), and then you are always covered.

i've got one of these babys.

it's an awesome tool, had it for over 12 years, and it has never missed a beat.

Drak, condolences and congrats. I love buying tools.

+1. i am in a hardware store at least 3-4 times per week. it's rare when i leave empty handed :D

cheers

darren

Edited by dash

My Trend router is 2050W (2.75 hp) and I love it. 1/2" and 1/4" collets, good dust extraction too (fit my Dyson onto the end of it :D) Already dropped it onto my concrete garage floor once and it's still fine (just a little crack in th handle, and it's not the handle with the switch on). Really is a nice router, and I love it.

BTW, to work out the power in hp for you guys, the online calculator also told me this:

This is the average power in full sunlight falling on a 105.9 square foot surface, directed toward the sun, and collecting 5 hours each day. :D

Edited by Calum_Barrow