Floyd Rose Install Question

Hey Guys...

I have a favor/job in the works for a friend. He wants me to throw together a guitar for him using some of the spare parts I have in the shop. He's a kindred spirit so I'm doing it for him for the cost of the parts + shjipping. So, since it's not a paying job and his choices are limited, he's opted for the one piece mahogany tele body that I've ultra-sculpted for comfort and an Ibanez S Series neck.

The problems? Two fold... One... It's actually a Broadcaster body so it's actually 1 5/8" thick. Problem number two... He wants one of my spare Floyds on it which have 1 5/8" deep blocks. I know you can get shorter blocks somewhere. I mean... I had a floyd with a short block years ago, so they've gotta be out there somewhere. However, I'm unable to find anything on Stewmac, floydrose.com or any of the parts suppliers' sites I know of.

Any suggestions and/or guidance?

Respctfully, Cor

Hey, Ive been gone from here for a while but I remember having a thread about this about a year or more ago, it was for a Voodoo SG copy, someone said in there where you can get them cant remember off the back of my hand, I remember though they also suggested not recessing in the back cover but rather screw it straight on the back giving the recess more depth.

Hope that helps in some way.

Hey, Ive been gone from here for a while but I remember having a thread about this about a year or more ago, it was for a Voodoo SG copy, someone said in there where you can get them cant remember off the back of my hand, I remember though they also suggested not recessing in the back cover but rather screw it straight on the back giving the recess more depth.

Hope that helps in some way.

Oh man! Welp... If you remember, please gimme a PM or something, k?

The neck pocket is already cut, so... The second note isn't an option at this point, ya know?

Thanks again, Senor!

MLAR, Cor

CALL any registered Floyd Rose dealer and ask them, don't just take for granted what they show on a website is all there is to offer.

2nd, you could re-cut the neck pocket to have a small angle to it like a TOM but not so severe, which will raise the bridge up, thus giving you more clearance in the back.

3rd, tell that guy that you are not allowed to put Floyd Roses on Telecasters, that is guitar obscenity! :D

Why don't you just cut the longer block, shorter? It can be done, fairly easy, if you have a bandsaw. Cut the difference off the end that the springs go into, so you don't screw with the block's thread holes. You will just more than likely have to re-drill the spring mounting holes. Not a big feat, if you are handy with tools, really.

I'm not sure, I have a video of Dan Erlewine making a 'stop block' for the bottom of a trem block (so the springs don't pop out on severe uppulls) and he drilled and tapped the block out for 2 small screws, so maybe it's possible, but I know some case-hardened blocks are very tough to cut.