Bc Rich's New? Invisabolt Technology

Hi, this is my first post. Well my first thread I have started.

Im new to this stuff. and Im colecting parts to build my first solid body guitar now. In the process of learning all I can I came across Cigarbox guitars. So im gonna build one of them this week. Anyhow surfing ebay I came across this BC rich with the so called New invisabolt setup. To me it looks like its just a set neck with a jigsaw puzzle type fit to creat a stable neck joint. Or maybe there are screws inside the pickup cavity to bolt it down and the combination holds it toguther. Im not realy a huge BC rich fan. I do like some of the older models frmo the 70s before the Company was sold.

Id just like your opnion on this, good, bad indiffrent?

I hope to start building my first guitar soon so ill have more questions later on. Also, id like to say thanks for all the guys who answer questions iv been using the search function and have been learning a lot.

Chris.

Welcome aboard.

We did a hidden bolt on about 2 years ago and found that while it looks like a set neck, it was just as easy to glue it in. I have not seen the BcRich version as they do not show pictures on their website, however it would interesting to see how they did it.

I got some info from another forum

They bolt the neck on and the bolts are concealed in the pickup cavities. I also think that it isn’t worth the work to do it that’s way.

I’d classify it as a marketing hype, nothing more.

Invisabolt? Now if that isnt a marketing buzzword I dont know what is.

Thanks. Yeah, marketing is good at comming up with fancy words/

I dunno if you have seen the photos on the ebay. but they took the head stock shape and routed that desighn into the body. thats what i ment by jigsaw puzzle. Anyhow, I guess they will say anything to try and sell there product.

im not sure who buys BC rich but only body style they have i even like is the mockingbird and the V. the rest are to radical for me.

Thanks everyone. look forward to seeing your work in the project part of the forum.

I hurt the tip of my ring finger on my fret hand so no playing for me for a while. guess time to get working on the Cigarbox guitar. Ill try to post photos when im done.

Chris.

Well, I don't think it's that bad actually... I can see how it provides the advantages of a set-neck (a carved heel, mainly) but you still can change the neck if anything happens to it (the main argument for most ppl that like bolt-ons...)

Not that it'll have much effect on sound or playability... at least not compared to an AANJ...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't think it's that bad actually... I can see how it provides the advantages of a set-neck (a carved heel, mainly) but you still can change the neck if anything happens to it (the main argument for most ppl that like bolt-ons...)

Not that it'll have much effect on sound or playability... at least not compared to an AANJ...

I played the Warlock with the I.T. I compared it to a Strat and a Schecter Omen neck thru. It had more sustain than both . It was weird, the note drop off was even and smooth. I guess it has something to do with the way the naeck is bolted on. The sales guy said the bolts went up into the neck. I'm not much of a BC Rich fan but I was thinking about buying it because its so different. I went back to get it and it was gone. They only had one in. I found this site because I was looking for one on the web. Cool site! I'm going to keep coming back

I played the Warlock with the I.T. I compared it to a Strat and a Schecter Omen neck thru. It had more sustain than both . It was weird, the note drop off was even and smooth. I guess it has something to do with the way the naeck is bolted on. The sales guy said the bolts went up into the neck. I'm not much of a BC Rich fan but I was thinking about buying it because its so different. I went back to get it and it was gone. They only had one in. I found this site because I was looking for one on the web. Cool site! I'm going to keep coming back

That's a poor test. Test a bolt on Warlock, a Neck-Thru warlock, and then the Warlock with I.T. That would be the way to check for a real difference. Of course a warlock is going to sound different than a Strat or a Schecter.

I played the Warlock with the I.T. I compared it to a Strat and a Schecter Omen neck thru. It had more sustain than both . It was weird, the note drop off was even and smooth.

There is a lot more to sustain characteristics than the neck joint. The bridge type, nut, movement inside the nut and saddles, mass of the headstock and neck wood species all contibute to how the strings sustain.

i absolutely agree with doug. i have a prs mccarty that i just love. it has become my gold standard for tone and sustain. i also have a schecter C-1 that is a big time sustainer monster. both are setnecks. however, my last project was sort of cross between a LP DC and a prs except that it has a bolt-on neck (my avatar). this thing sustains like no one's business. it far out-sustains any axe i currently have (prs mccarty, schecter c-1, les paul, 57 strat reissue, variax 700, carvin ae185), including those i have built.

don't get me wrong i also like setnecks, in fact, i am currently building one now. i think they are aesthically more pleasing. however, i feel it is a personal preference and has nothing to do with sustain.

i find that i personally like bolt-ons though. in particular, i like the ibanez aanj design. i like the fact that i can change out a neck if it breaks or i want a different profile. as a matter of fact, i had an axe that i built where i wasn't totally satisfied with the neck i made so i made another and replaced it.

take a look at what prs says about setneck vs bolt-ons (click here). scroll down and look at faq #8.

gee, i think this discussion was about the invisibolt bc rich thingy. i hope i didn't hijack your thread. if so, i apologize.