Painting The Electronic Cavity..

scab

Hey guys,

this is scab here and I'm remodeling a guitar... (yeah just starting this stuff, and all of you guys are like "frick we're building our own") but anyways I stripped the paint using a heat gun (which worked great!!) and when I was heating it, it started to melt the paint inside of the cavities.. so I don't just want it to look like ****, and I want to repaint it.. I was wondering what kind of paint I use, b/c I know their is a special paint that blocks out radio signals and acts as a ground to your electronics..

Thank you in advance for your help, and also thank you for letting me look at your guys' artwork..

Scab

Its called shielding paint, but grounded copper shielding will work better.

Copper shielding used for guitar is a copper tape that is applied to the areas that need to be shielded. Shielding paint is applied with a brush to those same areas but is not as effective.

Do a search, either can be found at many different vendors

dont use copper foil! I really messed up my strat with that! Tape is ok, but the foil I used was about a quater of a mm thick and It just took up too much space in the cavity and pushed the scratchplate up to an annoying distance from the strings so its harder to pick!

do use the copper it is the best sheid you can get

search the threads for more info

donbenjy. sorry you had trouble with it

but it is the best i have it in all my guitars

its a pain in the ass but well worth the effort

Ok you guys,

I got a copper foil selfadhesive sheet (dim. 12" x 12")... It's 1.25 mm thick.. I got it from a stained glass window place b/c none of the hardware stores around here carry it.. Just to make sure, is this thick enough or should I just do a double layer??? can I apply it to paint or should I strip it out with a dremel or something?? Will a sheet work or should I look for a roll that looks like duct tape??

Thanks

Scab

Edited by scab

just one layer and you will be fine

just cut into peices so that the bottom and sides are

seprate peices. i put the bottom in first then the sides making sure

i have at least an 1/8" overlap then solder the joints together

when done right you can remove the ground going to the bridge

like i did so i dont have to worry about getting shocked

by the strings if my amp go's phooey on me

ill post a pic of my current project to give you a better idea

as ill be posting pics of it anyway

i hope you can see how i did this in these pics.

i dont know if other people solder the seems all

the way around or not but ive had no problems yet

take note of the heat shrink on the switch and pots

i doubt ill ever have a short circut with this setup

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d38/femf...tar/rich001.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d38/femf...tar/rich002.jpg

But wouldn't all those little faradays escape if you used mesh? (sorry, couldn't resist!!)

Sure, you probably could use mesh - it just wouldn't be as effective a shield. And it would be a lot more difficult to attach than copper foil, and you might have to solder the edges to maintain conductivity that's not necessary with the conductive adheasive of the foil.

what do you solder with?? just regular wire solder?? dude in the second pic your missing the single coil.. I just filled mine in with a piece of flame maple... I'll post pics soon..

Can you paint over pickups??? I was thinking of ideas of creating a guitar with the humbuckers hiding in the finish.. In otherwords filled the gaps around and made the pickups look like part of the body.. I know they wouldn't be removable but it would look sweet..

Thanks

Scab