Mahogany, Alder, And White Ash Body Blanks

Jon

I will be listing several boards on Ebay tomorrow or Sunday evening. I have 5 African Mahogany body blanks (1 piece). 2+ Alder body blanks (2 piece). 1-2 White Ash body blanks (2 piece). One piece padauk tops that measure to your desired height x 12 "x 3/4". Padauk fingerboards cut to desired size.

All blanks have been sold

I only have a few pictures of the Mahogany / Padauk. I went over the Mahogany with naptha (a liquid that evaporates quickly) to intensify the grain.

Mahogany Front Shot

Mahogany Back Shot

- link dead removed

- link dead removed

I have all the African Mahogany body blanks cut. 3 of them measure to 22" x 13" x 1 3/4", 1 measures to 21" x 13 1/8" x 1 3/4" and the last measures to 23-24" x 13" x 1 3/4". The last piece was the top of the board and has a funky cut, I figured I'd leave it the way it is if anyone was going to make the longer horn come up higher. Or if I decided to use it for one of my gigantic basses. :D I only had enough time to cut one fingerboard today, which is the one pictured. It measures to 28" x 3 15/16" x 1/4". There are 3 chips on one side. One pass on the planer pulled out one of the "birds eye" type knots. The other two are located at the end of the fingerboard and are very small.

PM me if you're interested in anything!

All blanks have been sold, please look at my more recent posts on this thread to see what I currently have in stock

Edited by Jon

$40 for an Alder Body blank. $45 for a White Ash blank. $65 for a Mahogany blank. $50 for the 3/4" Padauk tops. Still trying to figure the Padauk fingerboard prices. Thinking $12.50 for guitar fingerboards and $15-20 for bass fingerboards. In the near future, I do plan on doing radius / slotting jobs.

Got most of the cuts done today. I'll be doing one more Alder blank and more Padauk tops in the near future, as well as sanding the Mahogany blanks down. They take 1 1/2 - 2 hours of sanding to get them down the way I want them, and I don't have that much time until Sunday. Here are the pictures of the Alder blank, Ash Blank, and Padauk Top.

Ash Front

Ash Back

Alder Front

Alder Back

Padauk Top Front

Padauk Top Back

Padauk Close-up

Padauk Close-up 2

Please note: Padauk Top = 22 1/2" x 12+" x 3/4" (Thick enough to be bookmatched and made into 2 tops). White Ash = 22+" x 6 7/8" x 1 3/4". Alder = 22+" 7" x 1 7/8".

There is a small knot on the Alder, it can be easily filled with epoxy. I'd recommend making the epoxy black and leaving the Alder natural, would look sweet! Those are not burn marks on the Alder, they're small clumps of wood dust. :D There is a small 2+" knot on the Padauk Top (pictured on Padauk Close-up 2) which is NOT a crack. I'd recommend the same as the Alder - black epoxy. But I highly doubt that small piece would even end up on a guitar, it's far off to the side and wouldn't be on the bottom of a body or on a horn. I did not use naptha on the Alder or White Ash, that is the true color of both those pieces. I did use naptha on the Padauk top so I could darken the wood to get a better picture - Padauk is a very bright colored wood, it is very hard to get a good picture of it unless it is darkened.

I will do combined shipping, not positive on what I will charge on the body blanks until I get them weighed. Combined shipping on the fingerboards will be free.

Edit: Everything has been hand sanded with 120 grit sandpaper. I have spent at least an hour on all of these blanks getting them nice and smooth.

Edit: I got a couple questions about the pictures. The brighter spots is the sunlight hitting it, so there aren't any funky spots on the wood.

Edited by Jon

• 3 months later...

Got some Basswood and Mahogany 2 piece blanks strictly for PG members, they wont be listed on Ebay. Dimensions are suitable for just about all guitar sizes out there. Have enough for 3 body blanks of both woods.

$50 per 2 piece mahogany body blank + shipping

$35 per 2 piece basswood body blank + shipping

th_BodyBlanks2.jpgth_BodyBlanks.jpgth_BodyBlanks1.jpg

I can take more detailed pictures if you'd like. Boards will not contain planer sniping - the pictures were taken prior to the drum sanding process.

Got some Basswood and Mahogany 2 piece blanks strictly for PG members, they wont be listed on Ebay. Dimensions are suitable for just about all guitar sizes out there. Have enough for 3 body blanks of both woods.

$50 per 2 piece mahogany body blank + shipping

$35 per 2 piece basswood body blank + shipping

I can take more detailed pictures if you'd like. Boards will not contain planer sniping - the pictures were taken prior to the drum sanding process.

You wouldn't happen to have a blank about 21X18, would you?

The widest I can do would be the White Ash blanks which would measure to about 20" x 16.5". That would be rather wide. Anything more than 14" width would make most play styles very awkward and a solid-body would weigh a ton. If you are able to find anything that size, go for a light wood. Some ash would end up weighing 20+ pounds for just the body.

The widest I can do would be the White Ash blanks which would measure to about 20" x 16.5". That would be rather wide. Anything more than 14" width would make most play styles very awkward and a solid-body would weigh a ton. If you are able to find anything that size, go for a light wood. Some ash would end up weighing 20+ pounds for just the body.

I know that's huge, but man is it tough to find blanks for flying Vs!

A Rhodes V is only about 7 inches wide across the widest half (perpendicular to the side, to the centerline just behind the bridge), a King V is probably not too much larger than that. You don't need 16" wide, you just need to lob some triangles off the insides of the blank halves, so that you create a new V-centerline at an angle to the blank's original centerline.

Long yeah, but not that wide.

Edited by erikbojerik

• 2 weeks later...

Yes sir. I sent you an e-mail back quite a while ago. I apologize if I have missed it (I highly doubt I did) but I do not believe I ever recieved a response.

Yes, I can work out shipping to Brazil but it will not be cheap. I suggest you figure out all your parts at once and have them shipped at the same time. Unless you're just looking for Alder, then yes! I've got one body blank left.

The guitarist of my band has a Rhoads prototype - I can get the dimensions for it and trace it on to any of the woods I have for sale, Wats.

Interesting. Not the shape I was going for but I'd like to see if it fits.

I'll be over at his studio today and tomorrow. I'll get this traced on some basswood for you sometime before Friday to give you an idea.

I'd also like to add that I'll be able to slot 34" and 35" scales for the fingerboards very soon. I'll eventually be able to afford different scale templates, but for the time being it will be 34" and 35" scales. I have more boards to cut down to size for fingerboards and the like, just contact me on what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do. My store here.

th_Padaukbassfb-1.jpgth_Padaukguitarfb-1.jpgth_WengeFB-1.jpgth_WengeFB-2.jpg