How Difficult Is It To Build An Rg Style Guitar?

I've just started listening to Dragonforce (which is an amazing band), and I used to only like LPs and Strats the sorta classic looks but now that I see that one of their guitarists uses an Ibanez RG Prestige I want to build one. I've built 1 guitar which was sort of a strat style with a hardtail bridge purchasing the neck. The second guitar I'm almost done with has a tuneomatic biridge and tailpiece with a set neck that i built.

The things I'm concerned with are:

1. Installing and setting up a Floating bridge

2. Aligning everything perfectly (Had some trouble with this on the one in progress)

4. Building within the tolerance of action adustment

3. Things I'm completely missing

I'm deciding on what to build next and I'm not sure if it is worth buying all the parts and doing all the work to find out that I wasted my time because it was too difficult. I have access to a complete woodshop so tools are not really a limitation.

All advice is appreciated and thank you to those who spend time helping the inexperienced like me, and I currently have no pictures of my guitars up so no need to look.

The things I'm concerned with are:

1. Installing and setting up a Floating bridge

Here you will find all the information you need in relation to setting up guitar.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

2. Aligning everything perfectly (Had some trouble with this on the one in progress)

Bump!!

4. Building within the tolerance of action adustment

That's just good workmanship. Measure twice, cut once.

3. Things I'm completely missing

Just start building and improve your skills as you go along.

I'm deciding on what to build next and I'm not sure if it is worth buying all the parts and doing all the work to find out that I wasted my time because it was too difficult.

The building itself is way more important then final product that comes out of it.

Edited by RGGR

how long is a peice of string?*

i know its not a definitave answer but with alot of patience measure twice, measure a couple of more times, go away and measure with a different stick, then cut (drill, rout). use a template when routing im good but noone is ever good enough to not use a template, saves headaches n thinking oh crap how do i cover that up.

building itelf is the more important part of this excersise, if it doesnt turn out well for whatever reason, think to your self why? what could be done differently? and if it looks like a dogs breakfast you can always take the hardware and other stuff off and use them for other things

my 2c

luke

*twice half its length

Edited by where's the beef???

Go to my website and see how mine comes out. I'm sure you're better than me, since this is my first guitar.

You do a lot of things that scare me. Screwing template to body and routing template out with body as a guide. :D What is wrong with tracing body out of piece of paper and tracing paper back on MDF. This way you don't harm the guitar. Even better is to get RG Cad file.....

With building custom body it makes sense to go the AANJ route. It looks and feels so much better.

Go to my website and see how mine comes out. I'm sure you're better than me, since this is my first guitar.

You do a lot of things that scare me. Screwing template to body and routing template out with body as a guide. :D What is wrong with tracing body out of piece of paper and tracing paper back on MDF. This way you don't harm the guitar. Even better is to get RG Cad file.....

With building custom body it makes sense to go the AANJ route. It looks and feels so much better.

I see your point about screwing the template to the body for sure, but I don't care about this body because it's plywood and sounds like crap. I wouldn't expect anyone to do that. You could also use double stick tape to do the job. Tracing a paper template onto MDF is the most common way to go and I actually tried that first. One thing I learned is that templates ar HARD to make accurately and this was just easier and more accurate. I have the RG cad files posted here, but I made and printed my own, so I could customize little things.

As far as the AANJ goes, I'm planning to build this guitar that way, but I just haven't cut the shape into othe template yet.

The site is really put there for people to see how I do things and possibly learn tips, or what not to do.

I suggest reading everything you can and simply cutting some wood. It's what I'm doing.

Can I hijack this thread for a second for a little RG-related question? How do you guys that have done RG's do the roundovers? They're a lot tighter than strat roundovers. Do you use a router/dremel bit, or just do it by hand with a sanding sponge or something?

Edited by fookgub

One of my specific concerns is aligning the posts for the floating trem, because i don't have a template which marks the center points of where the holes need to be drilled.

Get yourself a copy of Autocad. Learning how to use it is very easy.......and you will be able to create perfect templates.

I'm not promoting illegal downloading, but if you choose to do so.....you COULD use a program like mirc.exe to download it from websites like www.packetnews.com.

How do you guys that have done RG's do the roundovers?

In final stage just sand sides back a little by hand. There is hardly a round over to speak off, just light touch with sand paper is enough to get the sharp 90 degree a tid bit smoother. Nothing more.