Emg Hz

scab

Ok,

I recently got some EMG HZ pickups and I don't think it will work with my stock ibanez pots and switch.. I've got 2 humbuckers and their is a 5-way switch in there.. Should I buy a 3-way?? Also should I get new pots?? I do think those will work though... Mostly my question is based around the switch??

Thanks

Scab

P.S. should I try one of those new EMG afterburners in my guitar?? What do you guys think of them??

I don't recall EMG Hz's having coilsplitting...

Replacing the 5-way to 3-way should be easy

and the pots should be the same 500k, I'd assume if there were 2 Humbuckers previously, you wouldn't need to change 'em

I say if you have the money for the EMG-Ab's, go for a built-in tube drive/dist/midrange-boost/preamp or something like that from GuitarFetish, I'm guessing you want the AfterBurner for leads and solos, but I think you could also have more fun with those as well as getting the Gain you want.

I believe they have 4 kinds of single built-in ones. Found at their eBay store

Actually wow.. I didn't know they had this.

I have their Distortion, I like it.

And no I'm not a GuitarFetish salesperson, I just think EMG Ab's are little rip off...

Oh yea, and you probably want a batter case and probably need to route a new cavity for this if there's no space. Just a heads up.

My 2 (canadian) cents

I completely agree about the AB. That's why I sold mine to redwhiteandthemaple. It just wasn't worth the $70 I paid for it. Get an overdrive or hot amp and you won't need any onboard preamp.

Anyway, the HZs are fully splittable and can be used in parallel wiring because of the five-wire setup. You can retain the use of the stock five-way switch and control pots and pattern. Follow the wiring diagrams available on EMGs website.

On EMG's website they don't have wireing for these:

1-volume

1-tone

2-humbuckers

1-5-way switch

The only one close to this is it has a extra single coil... and I really don't want to start wireing this thing up just guessing at it...

Thanks for all of you guys' help

Scab

what do you actually want the switch to do? that'd be really useful :D Which positionswill do the tapping? and which coils do you want to be on or off? I would suggest if you really want to do a coil tap (as opposed to not wanting to buy a new 3 way switch) is to get 2 DPDT push/pull pots and use them to split the coils, along with a 3 way switch. Anyway, diagam 7 on the Hz wiring sheet - here shows a 1 vol, 1 tone but with a 3 way selector. IMHO, push.pull pots are far more versitile and worthwhile as you can mix either split coils and such, effctively giving you the configurations of HH HS SH and SS!

For the push pull pots... whats the difference between linear and audio??? and how could these do coil taps?? are they hard to wire up?? :D

Basically I want it like it originally was (coil tapped)...

Edited by scab

nothing could be easier to wire! Follow the diagram exactly, then just solder the 2 wires that are already soldered together (black and white, according to that diag) onto the middle lug of the switch and the bottom or top to ground!

it looks like this:

0 0

0 0 < solder black and white wires here.

0 0 <solder to ground.

The other 4 terminals remain empty. Do the same for the other pickup, on the other pot.

as for lin/audio short answer = you need audio.

long answer=Linear and Audio (or log) refers to the potentiometer part, not the switch bit, and determines how the signal responds to the movement of the pots, linear is a standard movement (i.e. setting a 500k pot at halfway is 250k), audio taper means that is increases logorithmically, which is better for volume basically!

On EMG's website they don't have wireing for these:

1-volume

1-tone

2-humbuckers

1-5-way switch

The only one close to this is it has a extra single coil... and I really don't want to start wireing this thing up just guessing at it...

Thanks for all of you guys' help

Scab

Which model of Ibanez do you have and what year is it?

This page will give you a very easy to follow wiring diagram for your guitar. However, you will need to use the information on the color codes for the wiring from EMG's site in order to get the wires matched up properly.

It is incredibly silly and wasteful to throw away parts you can reuse just for the sake of buying new parts to do the same task with less efficiency.