A Titanium What For How Much?

Carbon fiber pickguard anyone?? it would look REAL cool. By the way I have glasses with Titanium memory wire frames... you could bend this thing like 90 degrees (or more!!! how about 180 degree bends?) and it will NEVER break and it always springs right back to where it was. You could get a hunk of Titanium enough for a trem block on ebay for probably like 20 bucks.

Memory wire is not titanium, generally it's Nitinol, which uses titanium as one of the alloying metals, but it's not the primary. Also carbon fiber tuners would be tough to make since it would be dang hard to form worm gears out of fiber weave. I suppose you could use monofilament or chopped strands, maybe throw in some nanotubes for filler strength, but CF probably isn't the best material for tuning machines.

Now Ti on the other hand.... light headstock, cool wank factor, galling and seizing in the gears rending them inoperable, plenty of great stuff.

Oh and just to repeat what has already been mentioned, invesment casting of ti in vacuum furnaces is becoming fairly comon place, and a trem block is a very easy shape to cast. I haven't looked up ti casting pebble cost in a while, but I would guess somewhere in the ballpark of probably $15 material cost (high), $2 labor and investment (I mean casting shell plaster, not financial), some overhead, some shipping and a whole lot of $$$ for marketing BS.

Oh and a little nitpick I have... Damascus steel probably no longer exists, it is truly a lost art. The stuff we call Damascus Steel is really "pattern welded" steel where, like in mokume, differing alloys have been folded and beaten over and over each other to creat eh layers that impart the woodgrain look. I agree it would look amazing on a wooden guitar, though. It would be tough to mass manufacture for anything other than covers or maybe the post and buttons, but that's all you'd need anyhow. The machine internals could be made of the same old same old. Aw man, now you got me thinking about making mokume tuning buttons.

Edited by davee5

What will titanium do to the sound? Well, for a given size and strength, Ti is lighter than steel. Less weight means less mass, and less mass means less sustain and, usually, thinner and tinnier tone. not really what I'd want in a sustain block.

Why do they sell them? Like someone said before - Marketing. "It's TITANIUM, man!"

Edited by TimS

• 1 month later...
What will titanium do to the sound? Well, for a given size and strength, Ti is lighter than steel. Less weight means less mass, and less mass means less sustain and, usually, thinner and tinnier tone. not really what I'd want in a sustain block.

Why do they sell them? Like someone said before - Marketing. "It's TITANIUM, man!"

you haven't convinced me.

by this logic, lead would have even greater sustain than steel............................i'm not buying that.

you haven't convinced me.

by this logic, lead would have even greater sustain than steel............................i'm not buying that.

No, he is totally wrong. Aluminium sustains longer than bell brass, for example.