Serious Wireing Problems

scab

Hey guys,

I seriously don't know what to do with this thing.. I'd probly be better off just throwing it all away and restarting... But the basic problem is I've rewired this thing probly 2-3 times and it's just got worse and worse.. I've tried EMG's wireing diagram & Seymour Duncan's diagram. To tell you the truth, this is my first rebuild and I don't know what I'm doing... The first rewire I did on this thing, I was so confident that it'd work and I plugged it in and it was allright.. Just a little noise and some of the switching options weren't working right.. So I decided to try Seymore Duncan's wireing and A TON of noise came out of the amp and I don't know where to begin.. I started taking all of the wiring out and rewiring the same diagram with new wires and it just does the same thing.. I'm afraid that I ruined the pots... But one of the wierd things is, is that when you plug this thing in it creates some noise but when you touched the pots or anything electrical it got louder.. I'm kinda getting tired of rewiring this thing and I'm thinking of taking it into shop to see what they think.. If you guys have any input, all is welcome..

Thanks

Scab

Ok sorry for acting so discouraged earlier...

I didn't know I needed to ground the volume to the trem claw...

Anyways I did that and the LOUD noise went away...

Now I have no sound at all... I don't know what the next step is..

(when I flick some of the wires on the inside it makes a noise..

but I checked everything out and all wires were tight and in place..)

Maybe I'll dream about what to do tonight..

Any input welcomed..

Thanks

Scab

Edited by scab

Take it to a reputable repair shop and tell them you want it wired up the way it came from the factory with the new pickups. If you don't know what you're doing you're just going to confuse yourself more and damage the guitar.

I gave you the link to the Ibanez wiring diagram website and you have the instructions from EMG. I have no idea why you're ignoring both of those resources.

I gave you the link to the Ibanez wiring diagram website and you have the instructions from EMG. I have no idea why you're ignoring both of those resources.

If you read my first post in this section I said I tried both diagrams.. I tried that diagram before you said anything..

Anyway.. I rewired it to seymore duncans diagram.. and when the switch selector is on the middle it plays but if it's on the other 4 it just hums.. so at least I get some sound...

Thanks for your help

Scab

You need to go by the diagram that uses your switch, or use a continuity tester to figure out the pattern on your switch. That's where the Ibanez diagrams come in. If you're just going to wire it up haphazardly, you might as well just solder the outputs directly to the output jack.

the guitar used to have an H/S/H setup.. anyways I took out the single coil and now have two humbuckers.. I've gone off of the diagram on my other RG and I've gone off of EMG's diagram and I have gone off of Seymore Duncan's diagram..

I did take it to a reputable tech shop and he gave me the seymore duncan diagram and said to rewire it exactly like the diagram shows.. and that is where I am now..

I did it exacly as it showed and it took me back to where I was when I did the Seymore Duncan diagram before.. anyways i've got to go to work soon and when I get a chance to work on it again I'm going to switch the pickups around (put the bridge in the neck and the neck in the bridge) and see if both of the pickups are working properly..

Thank You guys for all of your input

Scab

P.S. If the seymore duncan diagram doesn't work out I'm going to wire it EXACTLY like my seven string RG..

No man I'm way ahead of you...

I fixed the "No playing" situation now it just plays on some of the different positions on the 5 way and I do belive it is a diagram program, so... But If you have any other thoughts on my situation, I'm totally open minded.. Thanks

Scab

P.S. When I say I'm going to switch the pickups around I say that because the only pickup that is working right now is the neck pickup, and I want to put the bridge pickup in where the neck goes to see if the bridge is working properly..

Edited by scab

Ok,

Now I've got the bulk of the kinks knocked out...

All positions in the 5-way play, but some still buzz a little bit...

What different things could this be from???

Thanks

Scab

Things I've done:

1) rewired the ground to the trem claw (it fell off before)

2) moved some other wires around to their same spots so they were more organized

3) plugged it back in to play

-now it plays fine when I have the solo channel selected

-but not when I have the clean channel selected (super confusing)

-to hear guitar on the clean channel you have to turn it all the way up..

4) tried another guitar on the amp and it worked fine

My amplifier: Crate GT1200H (halfstack)

This is the wire diagram I have at this moment:

(NOTE: I shielded everything with copper foil..)

th_14305_wiring_diagram_464lo.JPG

On the diagram:

All greens are ground..

The capacitor thats on the tone pot came stock on the Ibanez and it is being grounded to the back of the casing..

The black wire that comes from each pickup has a white wire with it..

Both pots shown are upside down

The circle at the bottom that has the red and green wires coming from it is the output jack..

This is the diagram that I built my diagram off of (Seymore Duncan)..

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schem...ay-w-split.html

Yeah I know "triple post" but no one has responded and I like talking to myself..

Edited by scab

• 2 weeks later...