Handpainting

Hey everyone, I just joined the forum so bare with me. I just finished my first project guitar (I will post pics soon) and have already started to brainstorm some ideas about my second. What i'm looking to do is handpaint the body as one would do an oil painting or traditional artwork. Think Clapton's Cream SG, it will be more art than color scheme. I'm currently messing around with a few test paitnings today, such as an oil wood with white primer. If anyone has any experience or any links (I've looked but not found yet) about this subject or my questions that would be awesome.

-What is the best 'primer' for projects like this, spray can primers or traditional gesso like artists use on normal paintings.

-Will oils even work? (I know they take a long time to dry but that's okay, the ability to mix colors more vibrantly makes up for that)

-What is the best way to finish the guitar? As in clearcoating it. Will the traditional spray can clearcoating work here too?

-Any other advice or issues you have if you've done or attempted this before?

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by Beefybot

Hey everyone, I just joined the forum so bare with me. I just finished my first project guitar (I will post pics soon) and have already started to brainstorm some ideas about my second. What i'm looking to do is handpaint the body as one would do an oil painting or traditional artwork. Think Clapton's Cream SG, it will be more art than color scheme. I'm currently messing around with a few test paitnings today, such as an oil wood with white primer. If anyone has any experience or any links (I've looked but not found yet) about this subject or my questions that would be awesome.

-What is the best 'primer' for projects like this, spray can primers or traditional gesso like artists use on normal paintings.

-Will oils even work? (I know they take a long time to dry but that's okay, the ability to mix colors more vibrantly makes up for that)

-What is the best way to finish the guitar? As in clearcoating it. Will the traditional spray can clearcoating work here too?

-Any other advice or issues you have if you've done or attempted this before?

Thanks for all your help.

I would use acrylic paints to do the art. There are several water based auto basecoats such as Auto Air. PPG Enviro, ETAC and there is no issue clearing with Automotive clear after they are dry. I would not use oil paint unless you have a compatable clear coat. I would use regular primers and then a base color to start the art.