A Few New Projects

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. And chris, I'm attempting to make the inside of this box on par, aesthetically, with the outside. Since there will be 2 soundholes and an access panel, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will want to take a peek inside. :D

So I've made a bit of progress, to see pictures, click here. You'll notice that I ended up going for a traditional bracing pattern. After much thought, I've decided to go with a standard bridge/string anchor design on this guitar. As I was sanding the sides with a radius dish, it struck me that the geometry of the top and the dome's orientation with respect to the plane of the strings needs to be radically changed to make most efficient use of the strings' vibrations, if I'm to pursue this design that involves the strings going through the top and anchoring at the tail block. Anyhow, having already radiused the sides, it was obvious that this guitar was not going to be the guinea pig I had originally thought. Just as well though, as I think I need to do a bit more designing on paper before this idea comes to fruition.

peace,

russ

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. I was on vacation for a few weeks there and couldn't do much more than order parts. I got back last weekend and have been busting my butt ever since. The acoustic and electric I'm building need to be done by monday. It's realistic, but will require my entire weekend.

Here are a few pics of what I've been up to

th_CocoAcousticCavityCover2.jpg th_RisingSunBody6.jpg

th_RisingSunHeadStock.jpg th_JasonBeckerBoards3.jpg

Those two maple fretboards will be going on an interesting double neck I'll be building soon. There is more info on my site. By the way, Jon slotted the boards and Doug laser cut all of the inlays for me; great guys, great service.

I have tons of more pictures of these guitars over at my site. Click the link below if you're interested:

https://garehanguitars.com/8-11-07.html

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

I checked out all your photos, and its all looking great!

Oh man Russ, cranking out some wicked pieces there! I really think those acoutsic contours are great, its a very cool look especially with that ebony. The fretboards are great too, I am very interested to see the whole theme of that double neck. Definitely keep those pics coming man, you are a constant source of inspiration and innovation here. Best of luck man. J

Edited by jmrentis

Thanks guys. There isn't much to the doubleneck; it's just a peavy double cut body style with a 6 string floyd rose and a 12 string hardtail bridge. The finish will just be a flat clear coat. These are all the customer's choices, not mine, of course. That guitar should be done in a matter of weeks. I'm trying to get it out by labor day, so bob can bring it to a show he's playing at. That will probably end up being contingent on whether I get the custom wound pickups from Seymour Duncan on time and whether the custom ATA case gets here on time as well.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

Hey guys. Both guitars are done, but the acoustic has not been strung up yet. That's because it as due at an art gallery yesterday and I didn't have the time. Oh well, we'll just consider this next month to be the extended glue drying period, I guess :D .

The electric is posted in GOTM, if you want to see some pics, check out the link below:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...st&p=344331

And here are some pics of the acoustic. The finish is a flat polyester that was applied ever so thinly to the soundbox. The neck was finished in Teak Oil.

th_26.jpgth_23-1.jpg

th_22-1.jpgth_21-1.jpg

th_17-1.jpgth_14-1.jpg

th_10-1.jpg

Edited by thegarehanman

That acoustic looks great, I like the neck! :D I love acoustics and would like to build one some day, but since I am just getting started building electrics I will wait a while before attempting to do an acoustic since they look much more difficult. The electric looks nice too, btw.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've made a lot of progress on the Jason Becker tribute double neck guitar. Below are a few clickable thumbnails.

th_100_0135.jpg

th_100_0124.jpg

th_100_0142.jpg

th_100_0119.jpg

If you want to see more pictures of this guitar and some detailed shots of the inlays and what not, check out my site. The link is below.

https://garehanguitars.com/8-27-07.html

peace,

russ

• 4 weeks later...

Done and ready to be shipped.

th_100_0246.jpg

th_100_0240.jpg

th_100_0228.jpg

th_100_0224.jpg

th_100_0204.jpg

th_100_0202.jpg

th_100_0200.jpg

The 3 humbuckers on the 6 string side make for quite an array of (noticeably) different sounds. I actually thought there'd be some tonal "overlap" among the 5 selections, but there really isn't.

Ah yes, some specs:

6 strings side:

-pickups: Sd Custom Custom(neck)/Sd Jason Becker Stacked Humbucker (middle)/ Sd EVH (bridge)

-bridge: orginal floyd rose

-tuners: gotoh mini rotomatics

-controls: volume, 5 way pickup selector (n/nm/m/mb/b)

-neck: maple

-body: white korina

-inlays: number inlays inspired by Jason Becker's signature guitar

12 string side:

-pickups: Sd Sh1 (neck)/ Sd Custom Custom (bridge)

-bridge: 12 string hardtail

-tuners: gotoh mini rotomatics

-controls: volume (with push/pull to switch between 6 string and 12 string output), 3-way pickup selector

-neck: maple

-body: white korina

-inlays: letters inspired by "This is Spinal Tap," and client's logo at 12th

peace,

russ

Holy wow! That turned out much better than I expected from the progress pics. The theme really came together well I think. Inlays look great as do the pickups. Hey, I even learned what some of the notes on a fretboard are between the numbered and lettered one!

Well great stuff Russ, it looks amazing. What was the build time on that sucker?

PS: On the notches for the cavity plates, do you actually make it recess below the inside of the lid or just enough to pry it open,leaving the cavity completely enclosed? Just curious as those magnets are way stronger than I anticipated and I'm wondering if I will be able to even open the cover without recessing below the lid. I'd rather not have any opening though. Hmmm. Just thought of an idea, I might notch the side of the lid where the recess is, so I can get a fingernail in there to pop it open, which enables me to avoid the opening.

Anyhow, great work Russ. What next on the agenda? Any concepts in the works? Acoustic or electric?

Thanks for the kind words. I can't take credit for the inlays though, that was all done with a laser by doug. I guess I spent about 2 months on this one. Probably about 60 hours invested in it, perhaps a bit more or less.

As for the cavitiy covers, I make the notch go slightly under the cover so you can get your finger under it to pry it out. The magnets hold it on really tight, so you need a bit of leverege. You can't see into the cavities unless you're trying hard, so it doesn't really bother me.

Next up is a transparent white tank top It won't be anything show stopping; I'm just looking to build something that's more eye catching than what you see at guitar center, but something that's still affordable, since I'm planning to sell it anyhow. I really need to get cracking on making the molds for my pickups though. More on that when I actually get to it...

peace,

russ

Transparent white sounds great and different. What figure are you going for? I'd assume it'll be maple top? One cool thought that came to mind when you mentioned the white finish is doing some nice black accent lines as with your other ones and going even further to line pickup routes or cavities in ebony, maybe even bind it in ebony. I think that contrast would be pretty cool, but then again, I'm not buyin yet so, just day dreamin. Any more acoustics on the horizon? I really liked what you did with that last one. Very curious on the pickup thing also, keep us posted.

Thanks for the info on the covers, I was curious as I have yet to cut the notch, but felt that I would need to recess below the lid to be able to get the cover out. I wasn't sure how many magnets to use and I designed the cavity prior to buying the magnets, so I made spots for 5 magnets and now I get worried I'll get a finger broken while putting the lid on, lol, those things are tough magnets. Again, thanks for the info, I might try that idea I had thought of while writing the last post, but we'll see. J

capello: I'm not a huge fan of the knobs either. then again, the whole guitar really isn't my style. The customer wanted a "tinker toy" look for the guitar to resemble the original jason becker guitar as closely as possible.

matt: the finish is a polyester clear coat, the same stuff on prs', fenders, every car on the road, etc. I just added a flattening agent and sprayed it on very thin, to make the wood look almost like it doesn't have a finish on it

wezV: thanks, and yes, that absolutely means you're dull, but I'd like to think that's just because you don't like binding. :D

peace,

russ

wez, what subject do you teach?

So I just shipped the guitar this evening. It should be in the customer's hands thursday morning. He's planning to use it for a gig that evening, if possible. Apparently some bloke who goes by "Steve Vai" is supposed to be there and wants to check out the new guitar. Must be some new beatnick the young'ns take after. :D (and yes, I am stoked)

peace,

russ

.>snip< Apparently some bloke who goes by "Steve Vai" is supposed to be there and wants to check out the new guitar. >snip<
Steve who? I heard of him I think? Played some gig for the devil. What a Wuss. He lost a head cut to the Karate Kid LOL:)))))

Peace Russ, I hope all works out for ya!

Mike

Edited by MiKro