How Do You Get To The Wires?

Old Codger

Hi folks I hope somebody can help me with a problem I have.

I have an Epiphone Rivoli Bass Guitar that I purchased in the late sixties. It has a single pick up at the base of the neck and a volume and a tone control. (A picture of a similar one is here: http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/EpiRivoliBass.htm)

Just above the two controls, towards the bridge, is a push switch which changed the tone from bass to a more treble reproduction. Many years ago the switch broke and left the tone on bass which didn't bother me much. However, I thought, recently, that I would see if I could replace it.

The switch is held in by a ring nut that can be unscrewed and you can push the switch into the inside of the guitar body. However, my problem is, how do you get to the wiring?

I was hoping that once I had taken off the pick up the wires would feed into the guitar cavity and you could pull them out. This is not the case. A single wire goes from the pick up into a small hole in a wood frame and you cannot see inside the body because of this frame.

It would welcome any suggestions on how to solve this dilemma

Regards

O C

Here is a working link: http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/EpiRivoliBass.htm

That appears to be a hollow body and the switch is installed through the pickup hole. You might just desolder the wires from the switch and solder to the new switch without removing the wire from the other controls.

Here is a working link: http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/EpiRivoliBass.htm

That appears to be a hollow body and the switch is installed through the pickup hole. You might just desolder the wires from the switch and solder to the new switch without removing the wire from the other controls.

Thanks for your reply. To elaborate on what I said in my description. If you unscrew the pick up cover and take out the pick up all you have is a rectangle hole slightly bigger than the pick up. The hole is surrounded on 4 sides, and the bottom to the pick up depth, by wood. I presume it is a frame support/ stiffner for the body itself. The single cable coming from the pick up goes through a hole just big enough to take the cable. It would be impossible for a switch to fit through it.

O C

Then you will probably have to go through the sound hole. I havnt wired one of these but if there is no access hatch then everything must have gone in through the pickup rout (the way alot of gibbo's are done now) or through the f-hole, the way they used to be done. Fiddly job!!

The way its usually done is to tie fishing line or something similar around the shafts of the pots, switches and jack socket, leave a foot or so of line then tie them all together. Then remove the whole wiring harness through the soundhole making sure the fishing line doesnt get tangled or come through the control holes (it shouldnt because you tied it togther) . You do all of the wiring out of the guitar and when you are done hopefully you can use the fishing line to pull all of the stuff back into the right place.

Then you will probably have to go through the sound hole. I havnt wired one of these but if there is no access hatch then everything must have gone in through the pickup rout (the way alot of gibbo's are done now) or through the f-hole, the way they used to be done. Fiddly job!!]

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like a corker of a job. I am wondering how much give there is on the wires. It is probably odds on that the switch won't come out on its own.

O C