Neck Scale For C Tuning

Hi folks!!!

First post here!! and I'm very happy to be a member of this great community!!!

I'm a lefty player, And I'm looking for a guitar that will always tuned in C-F-A#-D#-G-C

There is not much choice in baritone guitar for lefty player. But I found the schecter C-1 exotic. This guitar looks nice and I'm wondering if 25 1/2 scale leght is enough to use this tuning. This is an TonePros TOM w/ thru-body bridge guitar.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=1

What do you think??

Jeb

You can do it, but I'd personally want a baritone scale guitar for tuning down that low just to keep proper string tension. I do Drop C on an RG with a 25-1/2" scale, and the C string never stays in tune. With a longer length, there would be a little more tension on fhe guitar. Ibanez did some 27" scale length baritones, but I don't think they make them anymore. I think the only baritone they make now is the Mike Mushok model, which is a 28" scale length.

GBT

I made a 27.2" scale guitar and it coped with the tuning you want quite well with a set of 12's or 13's. You will probably have more luck finding a 28" scale guitar, that should work well too.

I wouldnt think the schecter would cope well tuned down that low

A 25 1/2 inch scale length is fine for detuning that low. In fact, my main guitar is an ASAT special detuned a half step down from that to B standard. I use DR 12's on it now (12-52, I think). I had to raise the saddles and loosen the truss to add some relief in order to get rid of the last bit of buzz but it sounds and plays great now. I know a ton of people who have 24 3/4 scale-length guits tuned down that low (and lower) w/o incident. Hell, I personally have an SG tuned like that w/ Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies. My other guitarist has his SG detuned to B w/ Ernie Ball light top/heavy bottoms and even that works fine.

So, anyway, I have yet to meet a regular scale length (25 1/2 or 24 3/4 inch) guitar that can't be detuned quite low. The only reason to get a baritone, is because you want a baritone.

Well--the problem w/ the strats is the bridge. I have a Peavey Strat-like anomoly w/ floating tremelo, twenty four frets and a 25 1/2 inch scale length. I put five springs in the sucker, put some Beefy Slinkies on it and I'm good to go detuned to B. It plays great and stays in tune except for when I use the wang bar.

The SG intonates pretty alright but it would be nice if you could get the saddles another sixteenth inch back on some stings. I pretty much have mine set for the longest string length possilbe. It's very playable. I used it detuned to B for years as my main guitar, recorded w/ it, etc. all w/ no problems. I didn't even have to adjust the truss rod on it--actually, normally I don't. I do have trouble keeping the third highest string in tune though--but that happened even in standard.

I have a flying V (24 3/4 scale) tuned B-E-A-D-F#-B using 13-60 gauge (a standard gauge set with a 60 gauge added and the 10 kept as spare!)though I think I may be going up a gauge or so as they're a little loose. I also have an Ibanez Destroyer in D which uses 12-58 (I think) and that's perrfect IMHO. So C wouldn't be hard if you don't mind huge strings :D

Robert