Need A Little Amp Advice

sumphead

Since completing a strat for my son, he wants my amp. So I am in the market for a new amp. All I have ever played are Marshall and there are a LOT of other choices that I have never had to consider. Here's the jist of what I am looking for: I do not gig, so solid state is fine for me as I like the sounds at lower volumes. However, I want to be able to piss off my wife when the time comes and scare the smaller children and animals when applicable. Basically I think I am looking in the 75 to 100 watt range for a combo.

So far the Marshall MG250DFX is up there, but I know absolutely nothing about other models. How (from experience) do the line 6 , Behringer, and B-52 7512 stack up? They seem to be a little cheaper but in the same class? I play everything froma twangy tele and several strats to a hardened Charvel drop D metal, as the wife pisser offer. :D I went to Guitar Center and played a few of these and well I guess I haven't been playing long enough to have an "ear" for these sorts of things. I mean I could definately tell the marshall had a brighter cleans, but not much else.

I want a good clean and a mean gain. I would prefer a footswitchable channel select and I would like to keep in the or under the $500 range.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

R-

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=24650

This has the power to piss someone off. Let's make a deal.

Hey Dayvo, thanks for the links. Definately something I would be interested in but I still want an "ol' trusty" standing by. I sort of plan my hobbies in stanges. Up next are necks from scratch, then effects... etc. I crank up a new addition to the hobby and I might find myself divorced....again....err uh...

Mammoth, that is a great deal. I'd be spending a a little over budget especially after buying a cab. Well, that and I still don't know anything about it. None-the-lesss I'll do a little research on it and ponder it over.

any more info about the combos above?

R-

any more info about the combos above?

The Marshall MG amps are made in Korea and not the UK plant.

Behringer has a new plant in China called Behringer City which should improve their quality.

We have the following combos (with mods) in our test room and or setup benches:

Marshall AVT20 - modified power supply, updated opamps, converted to open back and speaker swapped - good amp.

Marshall AVT275 - totally unhappy with. Speakers are good but preamp has no character.

Marshall Lead 15 Micro stack - speaker swap - ok amp.

Marshall DSL401 - no mods, good amp. These have gone up in price considerably in the last few years.

Peavey Bravo 112 - updated opamps, speaker swap - excellent tube amp and we suspect its reincarnated in the Valveking.

Peavey Studio Chorus 210 - modified power supply, updated opamps, modified distortion circuit, speaker swap - now a very loud 210, good amp.

Peavey Audition Chorus - no mods, good bench amp.

Peavey Backstage Chorus 208 - no mods, another bench amp.

Behringer GMX210 - speaker swap, asthetic mods - good amp.

:D

Two of my sons have had Line 6 Flextone II heads and cabs for years. They like the flexibility, the ability to play at both low and high volume, and they use them to record directly to their computers. I know you are looking at a combo. Right now, Line 6 has a big sale for some reason on the Spider series amps, including a 120W and 150W, both well in your price range so a foot controller can be added in and still be well below your target. Guitar Center has all the models, so you can have ample chance to try them out.

the spider2's are on sale because the spider3's are coming out

i have an original spider 2x12 with EV 12L's and i just thumps

however after going to the line6 forums i would not buy a line6 again

there are so many complaints about amps dying and no customer support

I'm looking for an amp at the minute (going to have to wait a while to buy it though) and I've decided on wither a Line 6 spider or the Vox ADV30VT. I don't really know what I'm after in an amp, so thought that I'd go the modeling route so I can have 11 amps in 1 box. At least that way I can get more experience and know what I like a bit better.

I have a friend who has gigged the daylights out of two line 6 amps, and never had any problems. Guess its like anything, some good some bad.

Reason why Line6 stuff dies is poor electricity. Like any other computer they are sensitive to voltage changes.

Thats why u should use some sort of surge protector or fillter when u play it out of your house.

I've had a Line 6 Flextone II head for about 2 years now. It's been dependable and sounds pretty good too. I've heard the combos are alright, but the head is great. I got mine for $300 and you could get a cab from Avatar for around the same price. So $650 for a potential 300 watts of power and tons of effects, modelling, etc.. A pretty good deal if you don't plan on playing out and really just want flexibility in your tone.

I find the Marshall 250DFX to actualy sound quite good however i felt when i gigged it once or twice before, it lacked the presence of other 2x12s ive used... Not sure if thats just me since i was used to me Line 6 Spider II at the time or actual lack of presence from the amp.

What i mean is it didnt feel like it was projecting its sound really well out to the crowd, however i really did like the sound of it and micing it up soon took care of the problem.

Im now currently using a Marshall 1st Generation Valvestate through a 4x12 Cab and i really like the sound of it, and they occasinally pop up on fleabay for cheap so could be an option?

Back to Line 6, When i used it, i found it to be reliable (unlike a fair few people) and sound to be good, i gigged it many times without any issues so could still be an option for you? (I used a Line 6 Spider II 212)

Hope this helps buddy

~~ TS ~~

Well, I took a trip to seceral local joints (Guitar Center and smaller private) with one of my strats. I played all day on everything from a Roland Cube to a Mesa Nomad (which I loooooved). But suprisingly I decided on a B-52. The cleans seemed the cleanest and the dual gain channels were hot. It seemed brighter than the line 6 (spyder II 212) with great low end. I went home and ordered the 7512 from musicians friend with free shipping. I just got it yesterday and I couldn't be happier.

While I regret not being able to play the flextone III (no one had one locally) I was leary of the B-52 simply for the lack of feedback and reviews. But I used my ear with my guitar and am quite satisfied.

Thanks to all for you input.

R-