Any Disadvantages To Jem-style Output Jack?

for the custom 7-string i'm building, i'm thinking about doing my output jack this way due to size and location of the control cavity i intend to use. that is, i'm planning to use the stew-mac cover plate, and i'm intending to have it cover what would essentially be 3 cavities in one (the controls, the batteries for the active pickups, and the access to the solder terminals for the jack). the problem is, if i put the jack on the bottom corner where they're usually placed, i have to angle the cover plate to properly cover everything. this wouldn't be a problem if i wasn't doing a trem-equipped guitar, where the spring cover plate would get in the way, and i think cutting the corner off of the stew-mac plate would end up putting a couple screws in less than ideal locations.

suggestions/thoughts?

Why be limited by the shape StewMac provides?

Get yourself sheet of this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pic..._Materials.html

Draw shape your happy with and that goes well with the guitar, make template of control cavity cover, and control cavity and with template bit route your own control cover plate. Simple as that.

mainly because i don't know how to make the templates, and i don't have a router (yet). in general, probably not a bad idea though, i suppose it could potentially save me some money on the custom pickguard too...

mainly because i don't know how to make the templates

Eh!....wrong answer......cause building a guitar is all about building templates. Know how to build templates, is knowing how to build guitars.

and i don't have a router (yet). in general, probably not a bad idea though

Get yourself one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=47937

I have one of those and it simply doesn't want to die on me, and I have thrown everything on it. It's cheap.....but dependable.

i suppose it could potentially save me some money on the custom pickguard too...

For RG type guitar, that might be a bridge too far......

The biggest disadvantage is when you're playing live and come around to laying your guitar against an amp/wall/monitor whilst still plugged in, and the jack gets stressed....at least, that's what I'd perceive the biggest problem to be ;-)

I cringed last night at the Cryptopsy gig when one of the sound guys leant one of Gore Rotted's Caparisons jack first on the floor prior to time.

Edited by Prostheta

mainly because i don't know how to make the templates

Eh!....wrong answer......cause building a guitar is all about building templates. Know how to build templates, is knowing how to build guitars.

and i don't have a router (yet). in general, probably not a bad idea though

Get yourself one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=47937

I have one of those and it simply doesn't want to die on me, and I have thrown everything on it. It's cheap.....but dependable.

i suppose it could potentially save me some money on the custom pickguard too...

For RG type guitar, that might be a bridge too far......

yeah you may be right about it being too difficult with a pickguard like that....mine is slightly more involved than an RG style anyway....

i bookmarked the page with that router though, since i'm gonna be needing one anyway. now how do i go about making templates?

i bookmarked the page with that router though, since i'm gonna be needing one anyway.

Somehow I get the feeling you haven't gotten the basics right. Read threads like these:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=9113

now how do i go about making templates?

There is a search function on this site, and it yields most answers to your questions. Specially the baisc ones, asked million times before.....

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=22041

You don't have router but want build a custom 7 string.

You don't know how to build templates, and want to build a guitar.

Two and two just adds up to not knowing the basics.

yeah, this is gonna be a learning experience....something i've been wanting to do for a while. this is why i'm posting on these boards and why i'm also getting help with the project from a tech/luthier friend of mine.

also when i said i don't know how to build templates, i meant more in terms of doing the smaller stuff like the control cavity cover....i'd seen the template blanks that stew-mac sells, and was more thinking of how to cut those and have them come out well. as far as the body and headstock shapes and such, i've got full-size sketches that i was intending to use to make mockups of on thin wood, to use as templates.

besides, i've seen people on these boards who seem to know a lot less about instrument construction than i do, who want to do some pretty involved projects.....

Getting back to the original question, I don't think there is any disadvantage to the angled JEM style jack. It looks a lot better (IMO) than,say, a Fender jack. Compared to the typical non-angled, side-mounted jack, it is better for the connection (the cable doesn't pull out as easily), and the jack isn't in the way if you want to play sitting down. As for being in the way when setting it down, it isn't any worse than the non-angled jack. It isn't a problem if you use a stand, and you shouldn't put any guitar down on the ground without a stand anyway. I'd say go for it.

Now isn't it time for somebody to insert the standard disclaimer ... " Go get Melvyn Hiscock's book and read it six times" ...

Good luck with your build ...

Now isn't it time for somebody to insert the standard disclaimer ... " Go get Melvyn Hiscock's book and read it six times" ...

And just spend hours reading this site. It's amazing how much good advice is burried in here. And yes, it's a bitch not to be able to use short search terms.....like RG, JEM, etc...

And just spend hours reading this site. It's amazing how much good advice is burried in here. And yes, it's a bitch not to be able to use short search terms.....like RG, JEM, etc...

i've been doing a ton of reading the past few weeks, between Projectguitar, sevenstring.org, harmony-central, and a couple others, as well as doing some of my own research. i'm also still trying to figure out if it makes more sense to use an OFR 7 or Lo-Pro Edge 7, and if the OFR 7 can use the Edge's locking studs

i'm also still trying to figure out if it makes more sense to use an OFR 7 or Lo-Pro Edge 7, and if the OFR 7 can use the Edge's locking studs

OFR and Lo-Pro Edge are both very good trems. Some prefer the Ibanez version over the original. Trouble is that Lo-Pro Edge is much harder to get a hold of. On top of that it's much, much more expensive.

Best option is to get RG7620 from the bay and gut that guitar of most it's hardware. Route like that is very cost effective option. Just new Lo-Pro Edge could set you back $350 at music store.

:D

i'm also still trying to figure out if it makes more sense to use an OFR 7 or Lo-Pro Edge 7, and if the OFR 7 can use the Edge's locking studs

OFR and Lo-Pro Edge are both very good trems. Some prefer the Ibanez version over the original. Trouble is that Lo-Pro Edge is much harder to get a hold of. On top of that it's much, much more expensive.

Best option is to get RG7620 from the bay and gut that guitar of most it's hardware. Route like that is very cost effective option. Just new Lo-Pro Edge could set you back $350 at music store.

:D

that's probably what i'm gonna do, because there's a lot i could use from the 7620 even if i end up going with the OFR