Lumber-board Foot Measurements

I have been wondering about if I could get wood from online lumber dealers, such as Advantage Lumber. I am still confused on how this board foot measuring system works. Would it be possible to get wood that I could use as a body blank? Does it come as separated 'boards' that need to be joined, or am I completely wrong? I searched the forum and didn't find much, but I found this calculator that says how many board feet I'd need. How do they know what dimensions I want with the board feet measurements? Is it okay to do this, or would it be easier to just buy a body blank? Any info to help a poor idiot would be appreciated. :D

We have the best prices for blanks - joined, glued, sanded and ready to cut. Most of the wood you will get from a lumber yard is rough planed or rough cut. 8/4 (eight quarter) is typically 1-3/4 inches thick however they calculate it as 2 inches thick.

A board foot is width x length x thickness all in inches divided by 144.

Our 14x20 body blank is about 3.4 board feet (14x20x1.75 / 144).

8/4 (eight quarter) is typically 1-3/4 inches thick however they calculate it as 2 inches thick.

Not where I shop.

Let me clarify. If its listed as 8/4 then it is approximately 2 inches, if its planed 8/4 then its typically 1-3/4 but still charged as 8/4.

Are you able to purchase 7/4?

If it is from the 8/4 stack and measures 1.75" thick, it will be calculated as 1.75" thick (not 2" thick).

Erik,

He is pretty much correct. Industry standard for somewhat surface lumber allows for less than 2" on 8/4 (it is normal). 8/4 Ruff should be a full 2". If it is surfaced 2, 3 or 4 side it is allowable to lose 1/8" per surface. That is also why some yards will have 8/4 listed and 8/4/full 2" listed. Now every stack is going to vary a bit, but that general rule is accepted.

P.S. You can find some great prices for body blanks(Mammoth has very good prices IMO). You will get a great value as they surface, joint, and prep the lumber for you (and at just a few bucks over "regular" Lumber prices). Well assuming you would prefer a prepped body blank that is ready to go (no waste from defective ends or what have ya).

Peace,Rich

You can find some great prices for body blanks(Mammoth has very good prices IMO). You will get a great value as they surface, joint, and prep the lumber for you (and at just a few bucks over "regular" Lumber prices). Well assuming you would prefer a prepped body blank that is ready to go (no waste from defective ends or what have ya).
I figured it was a bad idea... :D But I used that calculator and multipled the bd. ft. x price and it ended up saying about 20 bucks. Thought it would be cheaper than any prepped body blank. But I guess a blank specifically for guitars would be best. I'll need to save up some more dough first though. Thanks for all the replies btw.

You can find some great prices for body blanks(Mammoth has very good prices IMO). You will get a great value as they surface, joint, and prep the lumber for you (and at just a few bucks over "regular" Lumber prices). Well assuming you would prefer a prepped body blank that is ready to go (no waste from defective ends or what have ya).
I figured it was a bad idea... :D But I used that calculator and multipled the bd. ft. x price and it ended up saying about 20 bucks. Thought it would be cheaper than any prepped body blank. But I guess a blank specifically for guitars would be best. I'll need to save up some more dough first though. Thanks for all the replies btw.

You can get wood cheaper if you buy it from a local lumber dealer(hand select, and no shipping/ just the cost of time and fuel- this is my first choice). If you order "lumber" by the bd. ft. from an on line lumber dealer you can also get wood cheaper, but must count on waste and you are at their mercy for selection (generally best if you buy the highest grade they offer and buy enough for a few bodies, that way you can wash out the waste material- Also you will need to specify your minimum width). The wood will be fine, but it will not be 100% usable. How dry the wood is will vary, but most kiln dried lumber is 12% or less (so it is best to allow it a few months to aclimate to your shop). After the lumber is ready, and you select the clear sections for use as a body blank. You can cut them, plane or surface to thickness, joint the edges then glue them, surface sand to square and you are ready to go. If you are only after a single body blank. A dealer like Mammoths fee for the services listed above can be very reasonable and a pretty good deal. It all depends on your situation and what works best for you.

Peace,Rich