Nato Mahogany

ive looked all over the net for a decent explanation. the only fairly acceptable answer i found was "lumberyard mahogany" the answer i was lookin for is "does it make a decent acoustic guitar?"does anyone know anything about the structural integrity, ie. is ita bad choice for building an acoustic body? i found what could be a good deal on some slabs, big enough to build a slab body electric or have it cut for sides/backs for a box. help! thanx...........................................................................barefoot ed

From guitarnotes.com:

Nato Mahogany tonewood is a lower specie and cheaper to obtain Asian Mahogany

Takamine and Brian Moore along others use it extensively. Also used by Fender. I’ve seen it used for acoustic guitar tops, backs sides and neck.

I guess it would be very good for electric bodies and necks and perfectly all right for acoustics. The only thing that might cause you trouble is bending the sides. Don’t know anything about how nato bends…

OK, I looked this stuff up a year or so ago - here's more than you ever wanted to know about nato:

Nato/Nyatoh is Palaquium luzoniense, although in commerce other species and the closely-related Diploknema and Payena species may also be identified as Nato. Also known as gutta-percha, the Palaquium species were used to make an early latex rubber, the insulation for the original trans-Atlantic telegraph cables and the bounce in the first really good golf balls. The wood has been used for furniture and boat-building in SE Asia and Australia. It is not related to the true mahoganies (Swietenia)or African mahogany (Khaya).

Wood properties ( from Windsor Plywood)

:D Sorry you asked?

OK, I looked this stuff up a year or so ago - here's more than you ever wanted to know about nato:

Nato/Nyatoh is Palaquium luzoniense, although in commerce other species and the closely-related Diploknema and Payena species may also be identified as Nato. Also known as gutta-percha, the Palaquium species were used to make an early latex rubber, the insulation for the original trans-Atlantic telegraph cables and the bounce in the first really good golf balls. The wood has been used for furniture and boat-building in SE Asia and Australia. It is not related to the true mahoganies (Swietenia)or African mahogany (Khaya).

Wood properties ( from Windsor Plywood)

:D Sorry you asked?

Wonder why it's called a Mahogany if it's not even related to them?

Wonder why it's called a Mahogany if it's not even related to them?

Marketing.

So it is a rubber tree then?