Brighter Sound Without Changing Pickups

Myrk-

Ok I have a Warlock Bronze series with default BC Rich pickups- I don't wanna change the pickup if I don't have to, but is there any way to make the guitar sound have more treble? Its really bassy and hard to get a good solo out of it. I'm gunna try and pack out the neck joint some more to give it better sustain/sound too.

This guitar is just one I'm gunna sell off in time- gunna refinish it in white first then scallop the frets, then eBay ahoy to pay for my insane appetite for 1st gen synth guitars!

if you've got a soldering iron the cheapest and easiest way to change the tone of a guitar is to change the value of the capacitor on the tone pot/pots. caps are cheap so go to your local electronics store and get several to experiment with. if you do a search you'll find lots of info here on how the different vallues effect your tone. start here:

cap thread

good luck

Cheers, I'll look into the pots, probably change them to a 500k on neck and 1meg on bridge - a pedal isn't what I'm looking for as its only this guitar that has problems.

Either way, a pedal may be your only choice other than replacing the pickups. If the stock electronics make the guitar sound too bassy, then there's not much you can do. Replacing the pots for higher values or changing the tone capacitor may help (I'd remove the tone pot entirely from the circuit, but that's me), but if it doesn't then you're stuck with the pedal or replacing the electronics. Or dumping the guitar.

GBT

You could just disconnect the tone pot, as suggested., since it loads the pickups too, but you could use a so-called "no load" pot which is switched off in the 10 position.

How is changing the tone cpacitor going to do anything? When you want a bright sound the tone knob is on 10, and so the tone pot is in series with the tone cap blocking its effect. So changing it will not make much difference.

Cheers, I'll look into the pots, probably change them to a 500k on neck and 1meg on bridge - a pedal isn't what I'm looking for as its only this guitar that has problems.

Either way, a pedal may be your only choice other than replacing the pickups. If the stock electronics make the guitar sound too bassy, then there's not much you can do. Replacing the pots for higher values or changing the tone capacitor may help (I'd remove the tone pot entirely from the circuit, but that's me), but if it doesn't then you're stuck with the pedal or replacing the electronics. Or dumping the guitar.

GBT

Edited by Mike Sulzer