Problem With Bass Combo

bassplaya

hey,

I have a 40watt amp with a 10" speaker and i hardly turn the thing up and it goes completely distorted. Besides that it has an awesome sound and i want it to be able to have it turned up. i got it ages ago and it was alright. I don't no much but i'm pretty sure its the speaker. shud i replace it with a more powerful speaker or would it be a wiring problem. theres a tube drive knob thats stuffed so i dont no if its stuck on or sumthin. could this cause it?

Sorry, i mean broken. It's a kinda weird knob and its not adjustable, the way the amps set up is really stupid to and i can't get to the inside to have a look even if i take the speaker right off. Its pretty much like the knob, built together instead of built ON. I'll probably jus get a new, louder, amp. ARGH!!! I forgot to mention its a bass amp

Edited by bassplaya

Ive never herd of the brand but its Jade sound systems PRO.15 Ive looked it up but nuthin came up. I just found where the name was written today.(im not stupid they just put it in the stupidest place) I'll probably just forget this one and buy a new one anyway. All its got is gain, tube drive(knob is broken), bass, mid, treble, and master volume. Headfone jack and ftswith jack and hi and low inputs.

have you tried both inputs to see if its your input signal being to hot that's causing it?

If the tube drive know isn't functioning then it might be that its now decided to turn on rather than being off before (causing your sound to be more distorted than before).

Is it musical distortion or bad distortion?

If you could do a recording of what it sounds like then that might help also.

Robert

OK, Jade Sound Systems is in Victoria (Australia), and they are also apparently responsible for those Monarch amps that nobody can find any info on. A quick email to mail@jadeaustralia.com.au might get you some support, although I'm not sure if they've got a lot of authorised dealers in NZ (you are a Kiwi, right?) - even if you can't get anything but a schematic, it would sure be helpful, especially if you end up having to take it to a tech.