Question About Restoring Finish

cold95

hi, my friend has a, i don't know 82, 83, gibson silverburst. well if any of you guys have seen one, unless it was taken care of really well. its kinda turns to a green-ish color. theres a piece of lacquor that got chiped off on the head and its silver underneath. so im guessing its the lacquor that has turned color over the years. i was just wondering if there was anything that could be done to get it silver again, short of stripping it and competely re-finishing it.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no..i don't know of any way to bring an aged finish like that back to the original color.

on the other hand there are people out there spending tons of money to get their new guitars to look old like that so tell your friend he just saved some major bucks on a relicing job. :D

It's a shame you can't have the best of both worlds really. I appreciate the monochrome qualities of the original finish, but the vintaged look gives it character. I would actually replace the hardware with gold myself, but that's just me.

I presume that the lacquer has just yellowed naturally then. No going back from that unless you refinish, as I believe has already been suggested. That would be more hassle than it's worth really.

Yellowed lacquer is (to paraphrase Microsoft) a feature, not a defect. :D

If it's an 82 model it will be 25 years old next year. Have your friend look around and compare what original vintage LPs are selling for compared to non-original refins. There are stories all over the web of guitar owners with refinish remorse. He'd do well to leave it alone now so he won't be kicking himself in the arse in another year or two or 20.