Birch Body Wood

Sorry again for yet another question about suitable body blanks, just trying to consider all options before starting a project. :D I have read that people have used birch as body woods before, so I looked at my local Lowes store since I remembered them having birch. But when I looked at the wood I noticed that it was actually made of several thin strips, like plywood. Could I laminate a couple of these boards to make a decent body, or is a waste of time? I don't mind if the tone is less than great, but would it be strong enough for a body?

You can make a guitar body out of many different kinds of wood. But why not just use traditional guitar wood like Alder or Mahogany?

I figured it was just another bad idea since it is plywood. But can't blame me for trying to be cheap. :D Sorry, mammoth, I don't mean to keep thinking of other ideas to avoid you. Just trying to think of all options, but when the time comes, I will more than likely be getting a blank from you. I recently sent for a custom quote and your stuff seems nice. :D One question though, on your site it says you have alder and mahogony, are those the only types of wood you have? You wouldn't happen to have basswood would you?

I think that may turn out to be kinda spendy and a pain. I think they sell Poplar and it works good for bodies, but again I am going to bet it will be spendy for what you get. First thing I would do is look through the yellow pages for hardwood dealers(or woodworkers shops). If you can't find any then look to cabnet shops. They may even sell you some off cuts for next to nothing. If price is super critical those will be your cheapest options.

I figured it was just another bad idea since it is plywood. But can't blame me for trying to be cheap. :D Sorry, mammoth, I don't mean to keep thinking of other ideas to avoid you. Just trying to think of all options, but when the time comes, I will more than likely be getting a blank from you. I recently sent for a custom quote and your stuff seems nice. :D One question though, on your site it says you have alder and mahogony, are those the only types of wood you have? You wouldn't happen to have basswood would you?

We can make a guitar body blank out of most any wood and we do state to contact us about other woods. Alder and Mahgoany are the everyday woods. A Basswood blank would not be any cheaper than a Alder blank. 90% of the blank orders are not ordered directly through the site but are custom with tops or extra long/custom shapes.