A New Explorer Design

Sweet body, Matt! Knocks the teeth out of any Kelly I've seen!

I agree with both of you, I think that a reverse hockey stick would look nice. What would you think about reversing the curve on the rear of the body to use as the headstock curve? With a little modification, it would become the hockey stick from hell that you talked about, or even a less dramatic curve, like the Ken Lawrence headstock.

In either case, hooray hockey! and stuff.

Ok now Im thinking about wood and finish! I like this finish and its ash

GUITAR.jpg

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Do you mean Grain fill with clear expoxy dyed red sand it back than dye it black B)

You know that may be really cool I'll have to look in to that :D

I think the way gibson did it was to skip the grainfill stage before finishing. Spray it black first, then do the grainfill on top of that. Ends up like this, i think the red pickups ruin it.

voodoo.jpg

I think the style of finish would suit your guitar loads better than the les paul. It really depends on the grain of the ash you are using

I cant find the thread, but I think thegarehanman used this technique on that kids guitar.

I think his was purple grainfilled with white though

I think you spray one color then a color over that, sand the top color and you are left with that effect because the color went into the grain where the sand paper can't reach so it leaves the first color on the body and the second color in the grain, what a great effect.

There you go, ben.

th_b4setup008.jpg

(for the record, that photo was taken before the saddle was filed)

Nitefly, you need to paint it the base color and carefully grainfill the second color. If you try to sand anything as you've suggested, you will most likely sand through the basecoat. I tried putting the filler down generously and sanding, that's exactly what happened. Ultimately, it proved best to scraped off as much of the epoxy filler as possible, let it almost cure, then periodically wipe it down with laquer thinner until there's only epoxy in the pores.

peace,

russ

There you go, ben.

Thats the one!

I love that finish.

8 strings!!! F@!*ing Hell!!!

YEP!!! Its about dame time I did an 8-string

P.S I hat the headstock on this design :D

P.S I hat the headstock on this design blink.gif

I agree- the headstock needs reworking

Looking cool otherwise though! :D

What program did you use to model it?

I just cant come up with a headstock that fits this new design with out it looking out of place :D

I think its got to be a reverse headstock

I think something like this might look cool

headstockex.jpg

That looks better IMHO

I think it needs an asymmetric headstock.

I think the one in the rendering looks wrong because its symmetrical

That looks a little familiar ...

Crud :D Oh well I'll mod it a bit, That must be what it worked so nicely :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Mmm, I like the drawings you came up with, Matt. As far as a finish, what would you think of doing a transparent black, so the nice figure of the grain still shows through? I mean, I'm biased towards dark dark guitars in general :D Just my idea.

I'm looking forward to what you come up with for the headstock. If it's any consolation, the headstock on my Explorer build looks almost exactly like your current sketch (as well as LGM's, too :D ).

Bro, an 8 string would be awesome. The problem is that you REALLY need to get the headstock right. Im sure you read Doug's blog about his 8 strings over at blackmachine, so you know the drill regarding getting that many tuners on a headstock as well as the fact that the headstock will be huge anyway!

Have you considered steinberger tuners? Then you could do a real flamy headstock with bevels and a real f&$ked up nasty look to them, but you could keep the strings fairly straight. Just a thought....

Nice work tho. What did you use to do the 3d image?

I don't mean to hijack (well, not for long any way) but I was thinking of making an 8 string and I was going to make it a fanned fret after hearing about brian's misfortune with the F# string not being able to intonate. Any way, If you do make it fanned fret, where do you find a fanned bridge? Is it possible just to put the 8 string bridge at a bit of an angle so you have more room to try to intonate the F#?

www.blackmachine.co.uk

the defacto reference for 8 strings!!! Email doug@blackmachine.co.uk

The 884 fanned fret guitar he has n his site was built using 8 individual graphite saddles.

The 8 string Hipshot bridge

The Novax guitars Individual Bridge system

i'm sure you can google a few other terms for 9 string bridges. Good luck

Edited by Digideus