Before I Blow This Up

unclej

i just received two 50/50@500v can caps from ce distributors to replace a couple in an amp i've been working on. they're lcr caps but..the ones i'm removing have a red drop of paint on one pole, a yellow one on another and none on the third. on the side of the old cans it states that the plain one is negative. on the two that i just received only one of the poles is marked and it's marked with a black dot. logic tells me that that's negative but i wanted to check and see if anyone knows for sure before i install them and blow this thing up.

i called ce distributors and nobody knew for sure.

thanks

they're lcr caps but..the ones i'm removing have a red drop of paint on one pole, a yellow one on another and none on the third. on the side of the old cans it states that the plain one is negative. on the two that i just received only one of the poles is marked and it's marked with a black dot. logic tells me that that's negative but i wanted to check and see if anyone knows for sure before i install them and blow this thing up.

I would also deduce that the black dot indicates the negative pole.

they're lcr caps but..the ones i'm removing have a red drop of paint on one pole, a yellow one on another and none on the third. on the side of the old cans it states that the plain one is negative. on the two that i just received only one of the poles is marked and it's marked with a black dot. logic tells me that that's negative but i wanted to check and see if anyone knows for sure before i install them and blow this thing up.

I would also deduce that the black dot indicates the negative pole.

thanks...i say we blame it on lovekraft if it blows up. :D

In general, if only one lead of an electrolytic cap is marked, it's the negative side - there, now if it blows up, you really can blame me! :D That's one of several reasons I never use those old-school can caps if there's any possible alternative.

Why am I not surprised to hear that the guys at CE didn't know either? :D

In general, if only one lead of an electrolytic cap is marked, it's the negative side - there, now if it blows up, you really can blame me! :D That's one of several reasons I never use those old-school can caps if there's any possible alternative.

Why am I not surprised to hear that the guys at CE didn't know either? :D

no blame on anyone..the black ones were the negative..they work and the amp quit blowing fuses. and they all lived happily everafter.

thanks all.