Bent Truss Rod - Thanks Fedex!

My order from StewMac arrived today. Fedex dropped off a box that was practically smashed into 2 pieces on my doorstep. The truss rod inside was bent pretty bad. It's a 24" hot rod, and when placed with one end flat in the slot, the other end gradually bows up and sticks up roughly 2 inches above the neck. :D The arc of the bend runs pretty much through the whole length.

StewMac shipped another one out today right after I called them. No hassles, no questions, no problems. +1 on great customer service. :D

Any chance of straightening the damaged rod, or is it DOA? Before throwing it out, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for any info.

Lance

I look at it this way. Since you already have a replacement, why take a chance with one that you may have remove the fretboard later when or if you have you have problems. Couldnt tell ya from experence. I would just hate to have the guitar done and string it up, and the rod dosent do its job properly, and you have a buzz or really high action. Would be enough to pull clumps of hair from my head.

I'm sure you could straighten it fairly easily if you want to, If you remove the bent sections as Erik suggest, try placing them on a flat surface, and tap them with a mallet every couple of inches until you coax them flat. You maye not get them perfect, but if they're very close to straight I don't foresee any problems with the trussrod operation.

Hey guys we have had problems with fedex as well. Stewmac will use your prefered carrier so we always specify UPS or USPS.