Bass Questions

Hey. I'm building my first bass and was wondering: for bass headstocks, do they need to be thicker than you would have for a guitar headstock? My guitar ones are usually 1/2" thick, is this right for basses too, or do they need to be thicker?

Also, does anyone have, or is anyone going to a Guitar Center any time soon (none near me) that has Warwick 5-string basses? Particularly the Thumb bass? Cause they say on the website that the string spacing is 16.5 mm.... so there's 4 spaces between 5 strings, that makes for a total of bridge string spread of 66mm. Which is only a tad under 2.6" which seems small for a 5-string bass doesn't it? Or am I just thinking too much about this since I'm making my first? Either way, if anyone could confirm this 66mm string spread that'd be great!

Thanks,

Chris

I just had a Warwick Corvette in my hands a couple of days ago and the spacing on that one was 65mm. Definitely on the small side. What I'd suggest is buy a bridge that you like, if you like wider spacing go for it and use your bridge to calculate the rest of your dimensions.

I also don't like tight spacings like that, it's pretty uncomfotable to pop and slap. I think that goes for a good proportion of the bass playing community too.

No, I have some freedom, he jsut ant's that KIND of sound and feell... doesn't have to be EXACTLY it.

I have two more questions!:

1- headstock/scarf angles on bass necks??

2- if I have a neck of flamed limba (1/4") center, bubinga next to that (3/32" each side) and the rest being wenge (ie: WAY the majority), and it's the slightly rift-sawn with opposing grain-patterns way of glueing, will a trust rod on this 5-string be fine.... or is it kinda really important that I graphite it too???

Chris

1. Anywhere between 11 and 15 degrees for the headstock is fine; this doesn't differ from a guitar much.

2. With such hard woods being used, you won't need graphite. Obviously, it can't hurt anything, but it's by no means a necessity. Heck, some people even put two truss rods in 5 and 6 string basses, but that's probably overkill on a 5 string, anyway.

As for headstocks, Fender spec is 5/8", and I know for sure that Gotoh GB-7 tuners (the smaller of the two common kinds of bass tuners) are made to go through 5/8" headstocks.

Do you know what you're doing for electronics, etc. yet?

1. Anywhere between 11 and 15 degrees for the headstock is fine; this doesn't differ from a guitar much.

2. With such hard woods being used, you won't need graphite. Obviously, it can't hurt anything, but it's by no means a necessity. Heck, some people even put two truss rods in 5 and 6 string basses, but that's probably overkill on a 5 string, anyway.

As for headstocks, Fender spec is 5/8", and I know for sure that Gotoh GB-7 tuners (the smaller of the two common kinds of bass tuners) are made to go through 5/8" headstocks.

Do you know what you're doing for electronics, etc. yet?

Adding onto this!

1. My headstocks are 14 degrees (have yet to test them). All the basses I have owned range from 13-15.

2. Bubinga is a very very strong wood, they're practically graphite rods. :D I'm sure the rods add extra weight, but you've got all the strength you need with Bubinga laminates. I do plan on using 2 graphite rods in my 6-string just to see how it compares with my other 6 that has 2 truss rods. But still, a 6-string isn't going to have a great deal amount of string tension more than a 5.

5/8" - 11/16" headstock thickness and you'll be fine. 1 of my basses has 5/8" thickness. 2 have 11/16" thickness.

Edited by Jon

The wenge is also pretty beastly too strength wise isn't it?

As for pickups, he's giong to order a set of the MEC J's that asre in the thumbs to start with. We found a cheap source for those pickups, as well as the Warwick adjustable nut and their bridges in england... and my father's backa nd forth to London all the time... so free shipping :D

Chris