3 By 3 Guitar Tuners

Hello Good People,

This is my first post in this very informative forum. I am in the market for a new set of guitar tuners for a neck through body guitar I recently purchased. Since I have first started playing guitar there have been several inovations such as locking tuners and some that even trim the excess off the string ends. I would like your opinions as to what is the best tuners out there. I am interested in presicion and tuning stability. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

BluesPicker

Edited by BluesPicker

We prefer the Grover locking tuners. They have an easy load mechanism with no thumb screw. Sperzels are very popular.

Locking tuners are great because they make restringing faster, and they're pretty much essential (IMO) on a non-locking trem guitar. Precision...well, matter of taste. I'm very comfortable with 12:1 ratio tuners, absolutely no problem, in fact I prefer them to 16:1, 18:1, 21:1 tuners, which just take forever to tune up to pitch. Heck, 4:1 is enough to tune accurately and quickly; whatever you're used to.

My favourite brands are Sperzel for locking tuners, and Gotoh just generally, either their cheaper line (310 series, I think, around the 30-40 dollar mark) or their 510 for top-end stuff, only ever used the non-locking kinds. Trailing slightly are Schallers. Never used any Grovers, although their auto-locks look quite nifty; I hear somewhat mixed things about the QC, and given the quality and price on Gotoh's stuff I usually just use theirs.

I don't buy tuners very often, but last time I did, I went with Sperzels, because you can take them apart, which allows the same set to be used for 6 in-line, or 3x3, or any variation you can think of.

When I was thinking about buying them, I searched long and hard, and found this place to have the cheapest price on them :

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/tuners/soundlock.html

Just looked and noticed there doesn't seem to be any 6 in-line nickel ones, like the 2 sets I bought. I wonder what's up with that ?

All the ratio means is how many times you turn the knob for the post to go all the way around 1 full turn. It doesn't tell you how well the parts fit together (how smoothly the tuner works).

I don't like the "auto clipping" idea, because when I do set-ups, I need to take the strings off and put back on at least once, and I need the extra length to stay on the string during all of that stuff.

I don't buy tuners very often, but last time I did, I went with Sperzels, because you can take them apart, which allows the same set to be used for 6 in-line, or 3x3, or any variation you can think of.

When I was thinking about buying them, I searched long and hard, and found this place to have the cheapest price on them :

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/tuners/soundlock.html

Just looked and noticed there doesn't seem to be any 6 in-line nickel ones, like the 2 sets I bought. I wonder what's up with that ?

All the ratio means is how many times you turn the knob for the post to go all the way around 1 full turn. It doesn't tell you how well the parts fit together (how smoothly the tuner works).

I don't like the "auto clipping" idea, because when I do set-ups, I need to take the strings off and put back on at least once, and I need the extra length to stay on the string during all of that stuff.

Apparently they are closing out the Sound Lock line:

Hey guys, we are closing out our Sperzel Sound Lock tuners due to availability issues. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Get em while they're hot ...

Personally, i prefer schaller locking tuners. Although i only have them on one guitar!

Otherwise, its sperzels all the way, just because they're reasonable price wise and are easy to get hold of. Come in alot of nice finishes too including coloured ones.

S

Man, I hope that doesn't somehow mean the sound-loks have been found to be a faulty design. I don't really " use them" much. just slight tweaking of the knobs now and then , when I feel like hooking up the Peterson VS-II to check the tuning. Another set was put on my Chandler Jackson headstock guitar, and I don't think I've touched the guitar since putting the Sperzels on it, and that was about a year ago.