Createx Auto-air Qs

sumphead

Long story short: I used to be an airbrush geek. I was the geek on the beach doing the obligatory early 90s tees and car tags. I haven't picked up an airbrush in probably 12 years but since it ties in with finishing I thought I'd get back into it. I bought another Paascha VL mostly for detailing and I'll grab an HVLP for total spray tomorrow.

...I can't seem to find much info in the Createx Auto-Air but I remember seeing it mentioned here. What type of paint is it? From the manufacturer of course I they recommend thier own clear. Is it Laquer compatable? Urethane only? Any additioal info would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

R-

...I can't seem to find much info in the Createx Auto-Air
Go to their website and check the application guides.

What type of paint is it? From the manufacturer of course I they recommend thier own clear. Is it Laquer compatable? Urethane only? Any additioal info would be helpful as well.
Auto Air is water-based acrylic. I can personally attest to it's compatibility with (Deft and Mohawk) nitro lacquer and 2-part auto poly clearcoats - thier app guide says, "Auto Air Colors are compatible with all urethane clears. Compatibility with other clear types varies. Test first.". Auto Air doesn't offer a topcoat clear, but you can use their transparent base as a midcoat clear. The only downside is that fine detail with an airbrush may be difficult, since water-based media may tend to air-dry before contacting the surface - I think Jeremy mentioned that he hated using it for airbrushing. The pearls, candies, and metallics look really good, rivalling HOK and other highline stuff, and the flake is nice, but it's more old-school, not the huge bassboat flake everybody's used to. For more info, check the website.

Createx auto-air is sold in the UK by a guy I loosely called Pete Millichamp. Their website is createx.

It's pretty much compatible with anything you can throw at it once dry as it's an acrylic based paint.

I have personally thrown 2K and celly on it and no probs at all.

I strongly suggest calling Pete himself and tell him Craig from Signchatter sent you. He's a very helpful guy and extremely knowledgable about the product.

EDIT: We posted at the same time. I know Beej Curtis uses these for airbrushing and swears by them. He is an absolute GOD at airbrushing too. Check out the site.

Edited by chunkielad

Thanks a lot guys. I saw the "compatable with all urethane clears" and got a little spooked as I have fallen in love with laquers. I fired up the compressor to see if I still had a steady hand, it's gonna take a little practice to get the touch back but not as bad as I expected.

Thanks for the link chuckie, Than fella' is quite talented! I'll keep at it and let you know...

R-

Long story short: I used to be an airbrush geek. I was the geek on the beach doing the obligatory early 90s tees and car tags. I haven't picked up an airbrush in probably 12 years but since it ties in with finishing I thought I'd get back into it. I bought another Paascha VL mostly for detailing and I'll grab an HVLP for total spray tomorrow.

...I can't seem to find much info in the Createx Auto-Air but I remember seeing it mentioned here. What type of paint is it? From the manufacturer of course I they recommend thier own clear. Is it Laquer compatable? Urethane only? Any additioal info would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

R-

Auto Air is tricky to get the reduction for airbrushing. Most of the people that are getting good results use Fantastic household cleaner as a reducer. Mix 50/50 water and Fantastic and then use that mix to reduce the paint. AA has also come out with a line of reducers that are reported to work well also. Personally I will stick with Uros and not fight with the reduction. One other drawback I have seen is that AA sprays very rough due to have to spray very light coats to build the base colors. There are some amazing artists using AA with great success so it has a place.

I picked up some auto air and some reducer as well as some standard createx. It's coming back quite quickly. I haven't played with any of the auto air yet but kicked off a couple of things for the kids. It's kinda like riding a bike after a long time without one. Yeah, you won't forget but your a little wobbly until you get into a comfort zone.

I was very suprised at the performance differences at different PSI settings. Back when I did shirts I always shot high pressure fast pace (70ish PSI). Thinning out the standards at a low pressure (15 to 20 range) the control is amazing. I am already pumped to kick out this project so I can start another with the candies. but alas I still have routing to do even...

R-

Thats funny cause I've also got a set of Auto Air paints sitting around, I wonder if I can do a burst starting with staining the body yellow and use the Createx paints to fill out the colors to the edge of the body? Hmmm the possibilities.

Hey Maiden, that jpeg of the scalloped green axe is amazing !!

-Vinny