Evil Ebay

Asked this guy what scale the BC rich Bitch body was. His first responce said, "this is a body not a neck, scale means nothing on a body". Well I wrote him back and said it matters for bridge location. And this is his second responce..

Item: BC Rich Bich Body - Loaded just needs neck and TLC - NR (170021701884)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

lizard121368 is the seller.

All BC Rich guitars are 25.5 but you can still put any scale neck on this guitar. I have been building guitars for a long time and you can pretty much put any neck on any guitar as long as the pocket size is correct, it just changes the intonation setup after the build up.

Can you belive some people..

What do you guys think..

Write ebay and tell them this guy is making fraudulent claims. Or you could write him back, tell him you are a 20+ veteran luthier and he is making fradulent claims.

Both sound fantastic to me :D

::EDIT::

You could write him back, and tell him that you're Ed Roman and that the interchangable scale guitar is your patented design, and force him to remove it from his auctions.

Edited by Xanthus

maybe Im a total Newb at this, but doesnt it really not matter?

I mean, the scale determins where in the string each note would be in, so in effect wouldnt he be absolutly correct?

you could put a bass neck on that body, and as long as it was the correct scale neck, had the right pocket, it would still be in the correct intonation..

granted, you may lose access to a fret or whatever at the body by leaving the bridge where it is, but it would still play right.

Not saying you would put a bass neck on, just illustrating my point..

like I said, Im a newb, so I can be wrong..

I mean, the scale determins where in the string each note would be in, so in effect wouldnt he be absolutly correct?

you could put a bass neck on that body, and as long as it was the correct scale neck, had the right pocket, it would still be in the correct intonation..

granted, you may lose access to a fret or whatever at the body by leaving the bridge where it is, but it would still play right.

Not saying you would put a bass neck on, just illustrating my point..

like I said, Im a newb, so I can be wrong..

Perhaps if the body hadnt already been routed and drilled i.e A blank. IF the scale of a neck is say 24.75 and the body is 25.5 then the intonation is horribly off. Even if it was 1/8 inch off, when you pluck an "e#" it will not sound like and "e#" The scale of a neck is more referred to the distance from the nut to 12th fret x 2. If the distance was 17 inches, then its a 34 inch scale and the distance from the nut to saddle is 34 inches. Man I wish I had that old pic of the guitar scale defined.

Write ebay and tell them this guy is making fraudulent claims. Or you could write him back, tell him you are a 20+ veteran luthier and he is making fradulent claims.

You could write him back, and tell him that you're Ed Roman and that the interchangable scale guitar is your patented design, and force him to remove it from his auctions.

HAHAHHAHA! Thats awesome! :D

Edited by weaponepsilon

ok, im not trying to argue, I just want to make sure I understand.

I thought the "scale" was in reference of the distance from the bridge to the nut at centerline.

So a fender with a standard neck is 25.5"

if you were to take that neck off, and put one that placed the nut 25" from the bridge, and was a 25" scale fretboard, it would be correct.

I guess it would be harder becuase a 25" neck is designed for the bridge to be in a different position, and it would be hard to find a neck that had the same distance relation from the pocket to the bridge

Here's the deal (it's a little confusing to explain): The scale lenth is the total length from the nut to the bridge but that's not the end of it. The distance between the frets has to be proportionate to the scale lenth. So if you're neck and body don't match up, the frets end up in the wrong spots so you can't get proper intonation. They will either be too close together or two far appart depending.

And, by the way, just because your neck and body came from a guiat w/ the same scale lenth, doesn't mean they'll work together. I have a 25.5 inch scale guitar w/ a twenty four fret neck here. If I were to take that neck and put it on, say, a Strat, it wouldn't work. You see on the twenty-four fret guitar, the distance from the body to the base of the neck is slightly shorter but the neck is slightly longer than on the standard strat. It addds up to the same distance but each half is different.

Hopefully that didn't confuse you anymore.

ok, im not trying to argue, I just want to make sure I understand.

I thought the "scale" was in reference of the distance from the bridge to the nut at centerline.

So a fender with a standard neck is 25.5"

if you were to take that neck off, and put one that placed the nut 25" from the bridge, and was a 25" scale fretboard, it would be correct.

I guess it would be harder becuase a 25" neck is designed for the bridge to be in a different position, and it would be hard to find a neck that had the same distance relation from the pocket to the bridge

Hmmm...

"I thought the "scale" was in reference of the distance from the bridge to the nut at centerline."--Well yes basically. The scale length does equal the distance from the string nut to the bridge, and then small adjustments to that length are made to correct the intonation of each string. When you say centerline that may be a bit miss leading as the high E on a six string is usually the closest to intonating at the actual scale length.

"So a fender with a standard neck is 25.5"-- yes//"if you were to take that neck off, and put one that placed the nut 25" from the bridge, and was a 25" scale fretboard, it would be correct."--Well yes... but what you are doing is re-designing the neck by replacing the fretboard with a 25" fretboard. Effectively making it a 25" scale length neck placed corectly.

"I guess it would be harder becuase a 25" neck is designed for the bridge to be in a different position, and it would be hard to find a neck that had the same distance relation from the pocket to the bridge"--You kinda lose me here.... In your previous statement you redesigned a 25.5" neck with a 25" fretboard, and placed it with the string nut 25" from the bridge (that works). If you are thinking about the complications of turning a 25.5" neck into a 25" (by only replacing a fretboard.). Then trying to bolt it on a body designed for a 25" scale length. You would have to deal with shortening the heal length or routing the neck pocket a bit to get that 25" spacing you are shooting for. It would make more sense to just get the correct components to begin with.

Peace,Rich

You know, I've been meaning to ask this for awhile now but never got around to it. I'm a pretty stocky guy, so I'm not exactly tall, and I don't really have long fingers so it's kind of uncomfortable to play on a 25.5 scale guitar, if scale is the distance from the nut to the saddles of the bridge, would I be able to build a 24.75 scale neck, but have it to the width measurements of a 25.5 inch scale? My guitar having a floyd rose and all.

You know, I've been meaning to ask this for awhile now but never got around to it. I'm a pretty stocky guy, so I'm not exactly tall, and I don't really have long fingers so it's kind of uncomfortable to play on a 25.5 scale guitar, if scale is the distance from the nut to the saddles of the bridge, would I be able to build a 24.75 scale neck, but have it to the width measurements of a 25.5 inch scale? My guitar having a floyd rose and all.

Scale length in no way affects the width of the neck, so yeah, no problems. Warmoth even makes 'conversion' necks, short scale designed to be mounted on a long-scale body.

:DB):D

Scale length in no way affects the width of the neck, so yeah, no problems. Warmoth even makes 'conversion' necks, short scale designed to be mounted on a long-scale body.

YES'a. Thank's Mattia :D