Fender Serial Numbers

Hi!

I'm building my own guitar, a strat replica, and want to add my own serial number on the headstock. I noticed when I looked at my own Fender Tele and on pictures featuring the serial number that the text SERIAL NUMBER and the first to digits (e.g. Z6) looks different from the last six. So how is that? Are the last six burnt into the wood? That would make sence, wouldn't it. It must be easier to use in massproduction than making one unique decal for each guitar. Does anyone know how to make this look nice. I'm spending almost $400 (don't tell my girlfriend :D ) on a new neck from warmoth, so I'd rather it look nice!!

Thanks!

Per

If you are wanting to add a "fender" logo and your serial number that is a big "no-no" not only legally but in a community (PG) where originality and creativity are a pride. Now if you want to do a fender-like logo of your own and want to replicate the type they use, while some may still have a problem with it, I think it's kinda cool. But to answer the question I just don't know. I have several strats now and I just can't tell. I had this same discussion with my 13 year old when we built his strat and added a MM neck. Needless to say it remains logoless until he comes up with a design he likes.

HTH,

R-

It depends on what style / year of serial number you want to make. They've changed quite a bit throughout the years. To first 2 (letter + number) specify the year ie. Z6 = 2006 and the following are lot/production numbers. Why different? who cares? :D Just to keep them as separate identities, I guess. If you are also going for the logo, why don't you start making authentic "Fedner" brand guitars? :D

@Drak: Yeah, I know it might sound strange. I can asure you that what I'm doing is 100% legal, but I can see why you're sceptic. But if I were to steal a guitar I wouldn't be this stupid, to do a post about it on a big community like this...

So I guess a little background would be appropriate... I want a strat to complement my Tele and LP, but I can't find what I want without having to change almost every part on a new guitar. So I thought why not buy separate parts and put it together on my own. This is my plan as far as I've come: it won't be called Fender, I know that's not really the right way to go. I will call it Pender Swancaster. BUT I want it to have the LOOK of a Fender, i.e. I will add my own serial (Z6PS0001) and my own logo and finish the body in a crash sort of way (you know the graffiti guy from NY). Kinman pickups, custom wiring, graphtech saddles... No way it can be passed off as a real Fender. The reason I'm wondering is that, as I said, I want it to look like a fender, using the same fonts and so on, and so I want the serial to look like a Fender as well.

So what do you guys think, would it be OK to add a serial like this or should I just leave it be?

Thanks for clarifying. I think using the font and such is a fine idea and if anything it's a compliment to the original. Think in the tut section Jahle's headstock logo he added a serial number that I though looked good. Check there.