Choice Of Pickup Placement

Xanthus

So I know that the final wiring an hookup is a while away, what with my guitar not even painted yet. But I stumbled upon something on the EMG website that made me scratch my head.

I was going to place my H4-A in the bridge position with the H4 in the neck. However, I just realized (a wee bit dense am I?) that:

H4 = Passive 81

H4-A = passive 85

And everyone loves the 85's in the neck, not all too often the bridge. I mean, I know it all boils down to a matter of personal taste, but I was just wondering what configuration people liked the most out of their 81-85 combo. So it's really more of a poll, really, haha. I've only played on guitars with dual 81's, so I can't evaluate the 85.

So which combo do people like better?

My personal preference, based on recent experimentation with active EMGs, is 81 at bridge and 85 at neck. I find the 85 at the neck gives rich clean tones while the 81 at the bridge give well-defined distortion.

Actually, what do people think about the 60? Do you like it? Neck or bridge?

Take care,

Araz

Edited by araz

H4s have the quick connect, right? Play it and swap em'

R-

Ah, actually, you're right :D I suppose I totally overlooked that part, hahaha

Then the matter is settled, I'll let you guys know what I came up with.

Re: Araz - The only thing I know about the 60's is they're the choice for Hetfield. His newest model, the Truckster, has the 60 in the neck, but I was always under the impression that he played them in the bridge. I was born and bred on Metallica, so I have an inkling that I'll like them, I just haven't been to a place with a guitar that had one.

60 in the neck position for sure. Much nicer than the 85!! I have two ESP Explorers, one with 81/85 and the other 81/60. The 85 is too bassy, whereas the 60 seems better in positions where bass response is stronger. Also, the output of the 85 is actually higher than the 81....way too much for a neck position pup....

60 in the neck position for sure. Much nicer than the 85!! I have two ESP Explorers, one with 81/85 and the other 81/60. The 85 is too bassy, whereas the 60 seems better in positions where bass response is stronger. Also, the output of the 85 is actually higher than the 81....way too much for a neck position pup....

Cool, thanks for the enlightenment, and hooray for ESP Explorers! That's the guitar I'm putting the pickups in, or my slightly modified version thereof. Pics here if you're interested. Good to know about the 60's, too. I kinda wish EMG made a passive version of the 60's now, haha. The active systems are a wee bit out of my price range :D

Oh, have to put myself straight on one count! 81s have a higher output than 85s, but given the nature of where people tend to place these pickups, 85s tend to sound louder as there is more long wavelength movement towards the neck and 85s do love to churn bass out :-)

I've heard many bad things said about passive EMGs (probably undeserved) although there are plenty of better passives out there for the price to be honest. Do some A/Bing if you've got opportunity because there's a lot of be heard outside of what you read on the Interwiddle!

In other news, I'm shocked at how EMGs have shot up in price over the last four years. Back then I regularly picked up (no pun intended) EMGs off eBay in prime condition for £20-30 each. Now you're looking at over £60 easily. Crazy.

*shakes fist at Zakk and other premium EMG endorsers*

Dyooohhh!!

Well, a big benefit of getting the passives was because i know a guy :D $60 a piece, which was 20 cheaper than normal, and 40 cheaper than the actives. I've played plenty a guitar with 81's, as well as guitars (Jacksons, mainly) with H4's. I like the EMG's in general, and I was on the verge of getting Duncans until my guy said that he'd cut me a deal.

And as far as endorsers go, I've heard what Alexi Laiho can do with a single H4, and that's good enough for me :D

Still, I'm with you in the fist-shaking. Stupid Metallica, stupid Priest...