how would you do this

westhemann

If you mean the granite look, what I would do is actually carve the cracks into the wood and maybe use that fleckstone paint and then highlight the cracks with black and grays to make them look "deep". I believe Jackson actually made onej5229.jpg of the 3D guitars.

Dave->

If you mean the granite look, what I would do is actually carve the cracks into the wood and maybe use that fleckstone paint and then highlight the cracks with black and grays to make them look "deep". I believe Jackson actually made on of the 3D guitars.

Dave->

yes that is what i mean.but i don't think the fissures are carved in,are they?

Also applying two different paints such as a white and a black to different side's of a wooden blade and dragging it back n forth like marblizing. Do you have any Micheals Craft Supply stores near you? They would have everything you need, but I'm not sure they are a nationwide chain yet.

Thanks Wes, I couldn't find any info but from looking through that site I need to ask one more question:

Don't get me wrong, those guitars look excellent - but how do these people (and many others) get away with the blatant copying of the PRS and other guitars? The PRS seems to be a very popular body/peghead to rip-off. Doesn't PRS go after these people?

it's not a prs designed body.it is based on the old gibson double cutaway.and you only have to have a certain amount of difference to not infringe.otherwise esp would be in big trouble

So the PRS design is based on the Gibson? Even so, the peghead, and everything down to the truss rod cover looks exactly like a PRS to me.

About the silver inlay, I was thinking about trying some aluminum but I thought it may look too dull (not shiny like chrome, ...). Thanks anyway.

Maybe not, I took a closer look and they did make some subtle changes to it. I guess it just bothers me that these guys can produce such high quality instruments but don't take much time to come up with something original. For someone like me (building from my basement), who cares, but for someone building for a living - I'd expect some more design effort. Like I said, those guitars are very nice - top quality - I'm not putting them down for craftsmanship. They are not the only ones building look alikes either - I guess it's just something that's been building up in me. Sorry for the venting.