Floyd Rose Tremolo Route Question Please Help

seano

hey guys hows it going...im new to project guitar and also to hot rodding guitars so i need some help ( not the mental kind though ) i have a grg170dx with a FAT10 bridge and before you say CRAP GUITAR..its brand new and cost me next to nothing ( i got it from a friend who want3ed to play guitar and realised its harder than it looks dah ) so moving on i want to put a floyd rose locking tremolo into it and a nut lock and have never done this before so the questions are as follows

1. do i need to route the bridge cavity to make it fit

2. will i have to repaint/touchup

3. would it be easier to have a proffesional do it

so if you guys could help me out that would be brilliant... seano

this a link to the tremolo http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...%3APIC&rd=1

this a link to the guitar

http://ebay.emo-shop.de/ibanez-grg170dx-mki.jpg

so thanks very much to anyone who wants to help a retard :D

Everything would be easier to have someone else do it, but then what would you learn? You might have to touch it up but then, it depends on how much experience you have routing on finished surfaces. Personaly I have learned more from my mistakes than from my success, but then again, I am not practicing on anything that Im not willing to lose. If I break it, Ive learned something, and it gives me something else to practice(refinishing, Routing, repairs on a finish or wood, whatever I might have screwed up on) I would start learning something other than a floyd install, and do a lot of reading..... I was researching on this site and reading as many books as I could find for about a year before I even bought a router or wood. Just my opinion. And welcome to the forum, there is a lot of great stuff and great people to help you with whatever...and before someone starts picking on you....learning to use the search function will save you a ton of headaches

1. do i need to route the bridge cavity to make it fit

2. will i have to repaint/touchup

3. would it be easier to have a proffesional do it

so if you guys could help me out that would be brilliant... seano

this a link to the tremolo http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...%3APIC&rd=1

1. You may need to make the bridge opening larger so that it fits properly

2. NO

3. Yes

I will add that those ebay Floyds at 20.99 are absolute crap. The knife edges will wear off making the trem unstable. The fine tuners will be a bitch to use, the plating will wear off quickly. Stay away. You'd be better pff with a used Ibanez Trem or a new schaller licenced Floyd.

1) Yes

2) That depends on you, heck, if you botch the finish behind the rout (heading towards the bottom of the guitar) at least the floyd'll cover it, this is assuming you aren't doing a recessed floyd, but if you're doing recessed, there's probably going to be more of a risk of botching the paint. I suggest you check out Stew Mac and their routing templates.

3) Yes, it would be easier to get a pro to do it, but as previously mentioned, you won't learn anything! So then the next time you decide to try something new like this, you'll have 0 experience.