1-piece Or 2-piece Maple Neck

Lale

Hi!

I'm about to build my first neck from the scratch. That will be all maple.

I was wondering about making it 1-piece or 2-piece...

Which one you prefer? I'm a bit of vintage purist and would like go with the skunk stripe, 1-piece neck, but not sure if it's worth of it. 2-piece should be more straightforward to build and neck should be more stable too. Does the gluing affect to the sound? In another words: does 1-piece neck sound better? I'm trying to be as perfect as possible with all the options and building - that's the way how the neck might come out at least good in some level :)

Any opinions, experience or knowledge?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Lale, Finland

RG, please read the question before berating people.

There'll be zero detectable difference in sound, and very little difference in appearence. Installing via a skunk stripe may be a tiny bit trickier, but not enough that it should discourage you.

Worst case, try doing with a skunkstripe, if it goes wrong, route the top of your 1 piece blank, install from, the top, and stick on a fretboard.

Thanks a lot for the fast replies!

RGGR, sorry for not being specific enough. I ment two pieces with separated fretboard and installing truss rod from the top and one piece with the skunk stripe, truss rod installed from the bottom.

That will be a Strato neck, by the way.

I did use the search, but couldn't find any answers for the sound differences between these two options. (obviously it means that there isn't any ;)

Setch, thanks for the info about the sound similarities. This is my first neck but I still might take a chance with skunk stripe, just for being an annoying purist. :)

Edited by Lale

RG, please read the question before berating people.

We just had series of scarf joint, 1/2/3/4/5 piece neck questions........ I took it as another one of these.

Didn't realize Lale was refering to a Fender/Tele type neck.

No expert on these.....so will keep my trap shut. :D

This is my first neck but I still might take a chance with skunk stripe, just for being an annoying purist. :D

Nothing wrong with being purist ..... in a sense we all fall in this category....otherwise we would not be building these suckers. I guess.

Edited by RGGR