8-string Guitar

Matt, I don't know if your neck is in the building process yet, but I was reading this a while ago and the builder said a 27 or 28 inch scale length is too short to get good tension on the low F#. Just a heads up.

It is but Im happy with the 27" Ive not found any SOLID info either way as far as tension goes Ive heard that 30" is the only way to go and that 27" is the best and that 25" will work great and Ive heard all the negitives on every one so Im going with a good center

But thanks man :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rusty's 8-string has shorter string lengths for higher pitched strings, you should probably consider that. It'll make playing much easier, I think, as you won't have painfully difficult bends on the higher string.

Getting used to the sloped frets wouldn't be too hard for an experienced guitarist, I think: I doubt Rusty learnt to play with his 8 string :D

Ok I just did a really rough cut out just to get an idea of scale and feel of this design

Your thoughts

8.jpg

Just a thought, but isn't only one pickup at the back going to make this guitar only really suited to lower, more rhythmy pieces?

Making the 8 strings somewhat redundant?

I just find that lead sounds good on the neck pickup and rhythm sounds good on the bridge pickup, which is the case with all guitars I've played :D

Just a thought, but isn't only one pickup at the back going to make this guitar only really suited to lower, more rhythmy pieces?

I just find that lead sounds good on the neck pickup and rhythm sounds good on the bridge pickup, which is the case with all guitars I've played :D

The 8 strings Meshuggah uses only have a bridge pickup, and they do everything with it. Granted, they don't play your typical hair metal leads, but they do run the gamut of guitar sounds, from clean to heavily distorted.

:D BURN HIM HE'S A WITCH B) haha I just like the looks of a simple shredder

OH WAIT I WONDER IF HE ONLY PLAYED RHYTHM :D

david.jpg

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

:D BURN HIM HE'S A WITCH B) haha I just like the looks of a simple shredder

Haha, I'm only saying that in playing it took me a while to learn effectively switching from rhythm to lead play in a song (switching from bridge to neck pickup and changing style)... And for my rhythm playing I use the heavier sound of the bridge pickup... But if I play lead on the bridge pickup, it sounds like a duck :D

• 2 weeks later...

Qustion for you guys!! what would you think about this guitar in this color BUT with a maple fret board?

Im thinking that a really quilted maple board would be deadly

Im also tossing around Flamed maple <--(That may look better than Quilt) OR Birds eye maple

I need your thoughts :D

i think we'd all just rather see you start the damn thing, rather than talk about it all the time

Im sure you would :D But I'll stick to planing EVERY thing out since this is my first 8-string :D

nothing wroung with takeing my time on this one

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

hey matt, think anymore about that maple fingerboard?

Not sure yet :D

Ok ive been thinking and MAPLE IS OUT

wood2.jpg

I WANT SNAKE WOOD or ZEBRAWOOD

And Im also thinking about loseing the whole Painted body idea

after looking at some blackmachine's work I want to try a dark colored wood top and do an oil finish

I might like the zebra better though--depend what you match it w/, I guess.

Im not sure what I'll use yet since its such a big guitar and Im haveing a really really hard time finding any wood, theres no lumber stores out hear in Cold Lake and I cant find any thing thats wide enough

and I cant find the woods I want for the top.

hear is a list of what Im thinking about.

Wenge

Bocote

Cocobolo

Ebony

Walnut

Brazilian Rosewood

Any one know where I can find some?

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!