Neck Deminsions

dunno much about acoustics, but ive never seen any elec necks that taper all the way through. (that dosent mean that thats true) but there isnt really a uniform thickness. just make sure its not to thin, and you like the feel. my jackson is about 3/4 inch from top of board to bottom of neck. hope it helps.

I supply necks both ways. (electric) Typically they taper, and it's just sort of natural that way. I prefer a neck that is close to the same thinkness all the way and so do many of my customers. It's personal preference like the rest of the guitar.

-Doug

99.9% of the electric necks ive seen and repaired taper to accomodate the difference in size between the nut to the bridge, as youll find most bridges are far wider than the nut, and you want to have a uniform feel to the strings all the way along the neck. Ill admit ive never seen a straight neck apart from on acoustics.

Im sure if you look on most guitar manufacturers websites, the necks taper. I could be wrong, but then I could also be the next james bond! That has nothing to do with anything else I said above, I just felt the need to say it :D

A neck doesn't need to taper. People ask for a uniform neck thickness many times over. There is a distinct feel to them. Don't confuse thickness with width. An electric neck does taper in width from nut to last fret (most of the time), but it does not have to taper in thickness at all.

-Doug

It’s all because Leo Fender designed the Telecaster (and later the Strat an the other models) to be easy and cheap to manufacture. He started with a 1 by 3 or something like that that was readily available. Then he thicknessed the head part to what his first customers found to be a comfortable thickness at the head. The taper just happened because Leo didn’t wanted (his workers) to spend time on thicknessing the rest of the neck.

A lot of design decisions that were made on the Tele and then have followed the electric guitar throughout history are a result of this type of thinking. Quick, easy to manufacture and ready available parts or blanks.