To Much Twang

Ok now I was just looking at a guitar and It was nice to look at but when I went to play it MAN BRIGHT TWANGING sounding guitar!! It sucked, it has this hard string nut kinda like stone and a piece of plastic under the bridge and its got supper slinkys on it, Oh and its an ash body in trans red

Im thinking its String nut and the slinkys and maybe the plastic was added to sofen the TWANG

any ideas on a quick fix, I know a few things I can do but if any one has some tricks and tips that would be cool

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Ok now I was just looking at a guitar and It was nice to look at but when I went to play it MAN BRIGHT TWANGING sounding guitar!! It sucked, it has this hard string nut kinda like stone and a piece of plastic under the bridge and its got supper slinkys on it, Oh and its an ash body in trans red

I thought Telecasters were supposed to sound like that. :D

:D

Seriously, what kind of guitar is it?

Graphite?

No its more like floor tile :D

Seriously, what kind of guitar is it?

I dont really know its some kind of an old 80s flying-v its not marked but it could be a SERIES A

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Repair job?

It looks like it was

EDIT: Oh did you mean is it a repair Job im doing? if so no its a guitar that Im thinking about picking up

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

All I have around hear for string Nuts is grapthite and Bone what would do the Trick best? Im thinking bone

Ok i was down hanging out with the Owner of the guitar and he let me fart around on it I took out the plastic under the bridge and I made up a bone Nut for it and I changed the strings, now it helpd a bit but still way to much twang, I found out the the pickup came out of an Ibanez and that it has 500K pots the pickup is pushing 17 k and Im not sure what the CAP is it has .047 on it and under that it has 100

what should my next step be?

I found out the the pickup came out of an Ibanez and that it has 500K pots the pickup is pushing 17 k and Im not sure what the CAP is it has .047 on it and under that it has 100

It's a .047 cap. Pretty standard for humbuckers. Some guitars are just bright. Live with it, or don't buy it.

If you really like the guitar you could change the pickup for something that is not so bright. Or just turn the tone control down all the time.

Edited by Godin SD

It's a .047 cap. Pretty standard for humbuckers. Some guitars are just bright. Live with it, or don't buy it.

If you really like the guitar you could change the pickup for something that is not so bright. Or just turn the tone control down all the time.

.o47 cap standard for Humbuckers Ok thats cool now can I chang the cap and put something in that will soffen the twang? and truning the tone down makes the thing sound Flat and twangy

.o47 cap standard for Humbuckers Ok thats cool now can I chang the cap and put something in that will soffen the twang? and truning the tone down makes the thing sound Flat and twangy

Well, if it's a hard ash body - it may just be the body wood. It can happen if it's a particularly dense piece of ash (northern ash, not Swamp ash).

Well, if it's a hard ash body - it may just be the body wood. It can happen if it's a particularly dense piece of ash (northern ash, not Swamp ash).

Ok so than if it is the body than what does that bring my options too? can anything be done with the wireing

I would like to try but im not sure where to start, I would like to change the .o47 cap or is that pointless

Sounds like a Corian nut, but that would only affect the sound of open strings.

Somebody correct me if I'm off the mark here, but the changing the cap won't have any effect if the tone pot is all the way up.

Changing the volume pot to a 250k should warm it up a bit. A different pickup could help. I'm guessing the 17k (wow) Ibanez has a ceramic magnet. An alnico 2 or 5 pickup should fatten it up some.

But, yeah, it could be just naturally bright due to the body/neck woods, and you can only do so much with electronics.

Well I guess I can keep trying some stuff, but Im not going to spend money on an axe thats not mine yet and that I may never like the sound of :D

Thanks guys for all the help

What does it sound like unplugged? If it's twangin' like Don Rich on crack without an amp, there's not gonna be any practical electronic solution. Unless it plays really nice and you can get it dirt cheap, I'd just walk away - not much sense in spending any serious cash for a no-name axe that doesn't sound the way you want it to.

What does it sound like unplugged? If it's twangin' like Don Rich on crack without an amp, there's not gonna be any practical electronic solution. Unless it plays really nice and you can get it dirt cheap, I'd just walk away - not much sense in spending any serious cash for a no-name axe that doesn't sound the way you want it to.

well that the thing it sounds really nice unpluged alot like my old impaler and I love the sound of that thing