Ibanez VLX91 5 way switch...

aMpaGe

I posted this exact message on jemsite, hoping to reach as many people as possible. Here was my post. Needless to say, I could really use some help. Thanks.

Other than wiring diagrams on the Nez site, I'm in the dark on this VLX and my 2 Dimarzios and wiring them any other than this stock 3120.

I've a PAF PRO neck and a Fred bridge. I am HOPING someone has a link to an exhaustive detail on the VLX, or someone reading this knows it so well they could perhaps sketch me a quick diagram for what I wish to do?

Calling position 5 "bridge" position and position 1 "neck" position, this is my ideal setup.

5. Bridge series

4. Bridge south coil

3. Neck / Bridge (south coil neck / north coil bridge)

2. Neck north coil

1. Neck series

Not too difficult a setup, and if I had more info on the VLX I would do it easily, but I'm quite unfamiliar with this little bastard.

Failing help on this, or being unable to obtain the specs I need about this switch, I will just get a standard 5 way and install push/pull pots. Thanks a ton.

That "little bastard" is actually an extremely versatile switch. :-) Moreso than the Megaswitch. From the sounds of what you're asking for, you're looking for JPM-type wiring via a OTAX (aka VLX-91) switch. Is this correct?

I did have the OTAX memorized way-back-when....when I was working on the KJG Wiring Mod for Double Edge guitars....but....I've slept since then. :-)

Here's the KJG Wiring Mod diagram:

http://www.jemfest.com/misc/kevan/dewiring-full1.jpg

It's got the two DiMarzios with the OTAX switch, and a unique selection combination. Just ignore the piezo wiring stuff. It doesn't affect the DiMarzio wiring in any way. They're totally separate.

Hopefully that helps in some way.

I'll try to dig thru my notes and see if I can find the info on the OTAX 'build'.

• 7 months later...

if you still need help email me with that switch and iwill draw it up for you.. a simple strat switch will wire that scheme up though.

I posted this exact message on jemsite, hoping to reach as many people as possible.  Here was my post. 

really? which subject on jemsite? i didn't see it, and i cruise the pickup forum there all the time -- i'm widely known over there as the VLX91 guru. i'll answer your post here, but you might also search over there for old posts that might help you.

(i get it now -- that post is 9 months old. oh well, hope you figured it out by now! :D )

Other than wiring diagrams on the Nez site, I'm in the dark on this VLX and my 2 Dimarzios and wiring them any other than this stock 3120.

no problem, it is a pretty complicated switch. first, you should check out this pic i made that has numbers on all the poles to show the switching assingments:

http://www.his.com/~sha3u/gear/vlx91.jpg

aparently there are tiny numbers on the poles, but i was told these are NOT correct. my diargram is.

Calling position 5 "bridge" position and position 1 "neck" position, this is my ideal setup.

5. Bridge series

4. Bridge south coil

3. Neck / Bridge (south coil neck / north coil bridge)

2. Neck north coil

1. Neck series

south should be the outer coil, according to the Stew Mac chart i have. and north should be the outer coil on the neck pickup, if you have it installed the right way to get hum cancelling in a two humbucker guitar [the cable should be coming out of the coil closest to the bridge, just like on the bridge humbucker].

so you want the outer coils in positions 2 and 4, and the inner coils in position 3? those are great choices btw, since the outer coils give sharper single coil sounds and the inner coils will give you the JPM clean sound.

Not too difficult a setup, and if I had more info on the VLX I would do it easily, but I'm quite unfamiliar with this little bastard.

check out my switch pic and give it a shot yourself. do you know the two ways to split a humbucker? you can either apply the series link, the two colored wires soldered together, to ground or to hot. you will need to use both those ways in this switching scheme, since you want outer coils in some positions and inner in others.

i'll give you a few hints -- the red wire that DiMarzio uses as the default hot comes out of the north coil. if you use red as hot for your bridge HB, then in position 4 you want the bridge series link connected to hot to get the outer coil, and in position 3 you want the bridge series link connected to ground [and the red still hot] to get the inner coil.

on the neck pickup, you can't do it exactly the same way & wire colors since the south coil is inner at the neck, not outer. you could use the white as hot, since that is on the inner coil of the neck HB and it will be properly in phase with the inner-bridge in your position 3. solder the red and green into the series link and run the black to ground. now that you're using different wire colors at the neck, you can follow the same general ideas as above for the bridge [series link to hot in position 2, to ground in position 3].

this will all work out if i've done the phasing and wire colors right in my head! B) if not, repost.