Prs Wraparound Bridge To Gibson Tunomatic Conversion

Ive already got the mounting plugs out of the guitars. Time to mail order some wood dowels and the hardware!

John

Why would you want to order the dowels before you find out if you need them?

Measure the holes for the mounting posts, then head over to Stew-Mac and you can likely find a tun-o-matic with the same sized mounting holes unless you're just trying to make this more difficult for yourself or those of us trying to offer suggestions.

Also, drilling into dowels is very difficult, as you're drilling directly agains the grain, which is very hard. I'd suggest finding a little block of Mahogany and hand cutting your own dowels with the woodgrain running across them. They would be much easier to drill into.

You'll want a drill press for drilling those new stop tailpiece holes to.

See why we're suggesting a better wraparound, just bolt it on and be done, no waste of time and possibly screwing up a nice guitar.

Ive already got the mounting plugs out of the guitars. Time to mail order some wood dowels and the hardware!

John

Why would you want to order the dowels before you find out if you need them?

Measure the holes for the mounting posts, then head over to Stew-Mac and you can likely find a tun-o-matic with the same sized mounting holes unless you're just trying to make this more difficult for yourself or those of us trying to offer suggestions.

Also, drilling into dowels is very difficult, as you're drilling directly agains the grain, which is very hard. I'd suggest finding a little block of Mahogany and hand cutting your own dowels with the woodgrain running across them. They would be much easier to drill into.

You'll want a drill press for drilling those new stop tailpiece holes to.

See why we're suggesting a better wraparound, just bolt it on and be done, no waste of time and possibly screwing up a nice guitar.

Hi SoundAt11,

A heavy duty drill press is in my possession. It'll bore through 2 inches of metal with ease so I dont think the wood grain will stop it much. Also their is an alternative to te dowels which is wood plugs.

Im looking for a tunomatic bridge with that measures 9 inches in length from the left post end to the right one. So far I cant seem to find anything that is a TOM but the same width as a stoptail

Any suggestions?

John

I just don't see the difference between this tonepros PRS bridge and a TOM. This is a direct replaceable bridge and it acts the same as a TOM. What is exactly your problem?

tonepros_wraparound_set_w_msprs_b24743.jpg

they feel different when playing (fretting).

They feel different when you lean on them and palm mute

they look different

Well I be damned.. they look different ...DUH :D

If he stated that he didn't liked the looks I would have never gave this option!

The way he wrote his first sentence it looked like he said a wraparound couldn't act as a TOM, so I showed one that does B)

I can understand the difference in feel when palm muting, but what do you mean with difference in feel when playing (fretting)??

EDIT: BTW federaldepot, the bass doesn't come from the wraparound, it comes from your guitar. The reason that a TOM sounds less bassy is that it probably kills your guitar's tone :D But like GregP said, it is most likely just voodoo talking, like nitro on a solid body sounds better than poly :D

Hi AlexVDL,

To some up my POV. String vibration and the design of a bridge has more to do with mechanical eng. than the tone finish debate which is a cosmetic issue

John

Edited by federaldepot

Hi AlexVDL,

To some up my POV. String vibration and the design of a bridge has more to do with mechanical eng. than the tone finish debate which is a cosmetic issue

John

DUH!! :D

It was just a comparison, wasn't talking about cosmetics at all.

A wraparound transfers the vibration thru 2 studs, as a TOM uses either 2 studs or 2 pins directlu into the wood plus 2 studs from the tailpiece. You could say the one or the other is better, but that's just a matter of taste. You can go mechanical enginerring on the issue, but still it comes to personal taste and how you experience the sound. I personally like it if I have a bit bass in my tone, and I like the extra twang and attack which goes with 2 stud bridge constructions like wraparounds.

Also I notice a much different sound in the gutiars as the TOM allows a greater degree of string vibration becuase of its design. Ive always felt that some of the string vibration was sacraficed by the thickness of the wraparound givingit less treble and mid and more bass

As long as you don't give any hard facts and calculations, I see this just as your own opinion, so comparable to a tone finish debate.... like I tried to say earlier.

Anyways, I don't think there are TOMs with the same stud spacing as a wraparound bridge. So my best bet is like others said, just glue in a mahogany dowel with the grain running in the same direction as the bodies grain.

But one thing though, the intonation line compared to the lining of the studs on a PRS wraparound is not the same as a TOM. If you'd find a TOM that fits in the original holes, you'd get a problem with your intonation because the saddles won't go foreward enough.

Better wrap this up as this is turning into a personal debate instead of a topic of how to do wraparound to TOM conversions

A big thanks to

verhoevenc

rhoads56

crafty

Ben

SoundAt11

for all the info and help. I've ordered my dowels and hardware and when that shows off to the drill press my guitars go!

Thanks guys

John :DB):DB)

I can understand the difference in feel when palm muting, but what do you mean with difference in feel when playing (fretting)??

same as tuner length to nut effects feel. The discussion was done ages ago.

But like GregP said, it is most likely just voodoo talking, like nitro on a solid body sounds better than poly B)

:D:D