Help Me Paint My Guitar White!

Ok, I'm working on an alder superstrat here, and I want to paint it a nice glossy, bright white.

Alder doesn't have much of an open grain, so I have decided not to use a grain filler like I would have with mahogany or ash, but I still plan on using a few coats of oil based sanding sealer to get a nice smooth base. (this is my first project so please let me know if this is a good/bad idea).

I went in to several paint stores and told them what I was doing and they all pretty much told me the same thing: A white guitar finished in nitro-cellulose lacquer or polyurethane wasn't going to look very good because either of those would tend to turn the guitar "yellow". They recommended instead that I just find the glossiest white paint I could find and build up several coats -- making sure it was nicely polished when I was done.

If this is the case, then I'm thinking maybe automotive paint? That's the glossiest and most durable stuff I can think of right now. I'd like to hear you guys' oppinions, tips, suggestions, etc. though.

Thanks!!