Sources For Oversized Graphite Nut Blanks?

fookgub

I'm considering redoing my corian floyd rose conversion nut in graphite, but I can't find any blanks that are large enough. Anyone know any good sources for suitable material? It doesn't have to be specifically a "nut blank." I could cut the piece I need out of any appropriately large piece of material.

Bump... anybody?

Btw, when I say graphite, I really mean "slippery nut material." I'm aware that most "graphite" nut aren't actually graphite.

I did quite a lot of searching for slippery graph-tech like stuff when I did my lap steel. The closest I got was the Graph-Tech "classical" nut, but it's sort of pre-slotted for certain neck widths 'n' stuff...

Before I found that, I was just going to use a re-shaped acoustic bridge piece blank. (ie. not the whole bridge, of course, just the part that the string actually breaks over, whatever that's called) However, it's not a very thick piece of graph-tech

You could glue two Graphtech nuts together. One vertical(like normal) and one flat to take up the space. If you shape it right the seam will be invisible. Slot the vertical one and you should be good to go.

Alternatively you could get a small piece of corian from a counter top shop. They should have lots of little pieces and scraps kicking around. Offer somebody a free lunch for a handfull.

Ebony is an age old nut material too.

-Doug

You could glue two Graphtech nuts together. One vertical(like normal) and one flat to take up the space. If you shape it right the seam will be invisible. Slot the vertical one and you should be good to go.

This is a thought that had occurred to me, too, but I don't know what kind of glue to use. At about $10 per nut blank, it's not a particularly attractive experiment, either. My last nut was made from Corian samples, which I bought online in 2"x2"x1/2" squares. They were a buck a pop, and good for two "conversion" nuts and 1-2 regular ones.

Ebony is an age old nut material too.

Yes, but I'm not sure it would work for me. Part of my design includes tapped threads. Also, I specifically wanted to try "slippery" nut materials because I've been having a little trouble with strings binding in my current nut. That said, I have several pieces of ebony that are about the right size, so I may try it anyway.

Greg,

Thanks for the hints, but, unfortunately, there is nothing (that I could find) in the Graph-tech catalog that would work as a single piece for me. Gluing two pieces together is certainly an alternative, but I'm still holding out for a better solution. I was really hoping to find a supplier for little chunks of Delrin or other similar materials (like I found for Corian), but so far, that search has turned up nothing.

Edited by fookgub