Poplar Fretboard

Is it possible to make a fretboard out of poplar? I mean, I know it is possible but is it practical? will it just fall apart or anything? Thanks for any information.

I dont see why it should'nt work mate. If it can stand the strain of having the string tention as a body, it should be fine as a fret board. I dont know how it would effect the sound though.

Edited by prauny

Is it possible to make a fretboard out of poplar? I mean, I know it is possible but is it practical? will it just fall apart or anything? Thanks for any information.

not to start an argument but i'm not sure poplar is dense enough to stand up to the wear. not the strain of the string tension but the actuall physical wear of making chords. one of the reasons maple, ebony and rose wood are the standards is that they are very hard and last under that kind of use. someone may disagree with me but i'm not sure poplar's that tough.

would be kinda cool looking though. i've seen some nice color differences in poplar.

Right simple answer

Poplar is very bad idea

becasue its about similar to alder, it just doesn't have the right characteristics to sound any good as a FB. You could try it but in my view, to put all the effort that goes into making a FB in the first place, you might as well use a decent wood such as ebony, rosewood maple or any other hard, dense wood.

Im making my Jem out of poplar, and while I think/hope it will be good for the body, I really wouldn't use it for the FB.

Anyway just hope this helps

Matt

Scalloped would be really cool. Well, It is going to be and odd length, fanned fret FB so I need a place where I can get a board like 4 incehes wide and 36 inches long. at home depot the have poplar which may work (may used lightly) and pine which flat out WOULD NOT work.. There's always oak, thats hard and stable, would oak work?

Oak would probably want to move on you quite a bit. Why not stick with the proven fb woods? Poplar would be a bad idea IMO. Rosewqood, maple and ebony have "been done to death" because they work.

There's always oak, thats hard and stable, would oak work?

Robban Sahrling from Ares Guitars www.aresguitar.se, a fellow Swedish Luthier, uses Oak as a fretboard wood a lot with good results. He’s opinion is that it is somewhere between Ebony and Rosewood sound wise. It has the attack from the ebony and the warmth of rosewood.

Edited by SwedishLuthier

I think Brian May's red special has an oak fingerboard

• 16 years later...

Rick here. I have restored a LOT of pre-WW2 guitars that had poplar fret boards, and a surprising number of them were still in very good shape. The trick is to cure and seal the wood correctly. I have built about 1,700 instruments to date, and oak is a GREAT wood for fret boards. Again, it is all in the curing and sealing. 

• Like 1