Painting Guitar Body

sugnco

Hello,

I have a challenge that I'm hoping to get advice about.

My nephew's school has an auction each year. And each class creates a unique item to sell at the auction.

They make money for the school and booster club.

The 6th graders voted to redesign a guitar (electric or accoustic). And I've been asked to help.

Are there any suggestions for this task? We have bounced around the ideas using acrylic paint and clearcoating over that. Or perhaps a decropage. Silver leaf.

Whatever it is needs to remain simple but look classy enough to sell at the auction.

Thanks for any advice. sugnco

Hello,

I have a challenge that I'm hoping to get advice about.

My nephew's school has an auction each year. And each class creates a unique item to sell at the auction.

They make money for the school and booster club.

The 6th graders voted to redesign a guitar (electric or accoustic). And I've been asked to help.

Are there any suggestions for this task? We have bounced around the ideas using acrylic paint and clearcoating over that. Or perhaps a decropage. Silver leaf.

Whatever it is needs to remain simple but look classy enough to sell at the auction.

Thanks for any advice. sugnco

I am assuming that you are looking at hand painting the guitar,correct? If so one thing that I have done in the past that has worked very well is using non-reduced airbrush paints with a regular bristle type art brush. I use the brand auto air color for the paints, but pretty much any of the water based air brush paints should do what you are looking for. The Auto Air Color are a little more than other brands but they are water based and work with either nitro or poly type clear coats. Plus they go on a little flatter than most conventional art paints such as acrylics. If you look on eBay you can usually find entire 12 piece color sets of airbrush paints for as little as $20 plus shipping. Good luck.