Drilling Holes In A Finished Body...

I want to install a switch for a coil tap in one of my guitars which means drilling a small hole. Is there some way to do this that minimizes the risk of chipping the finish? I was thinking I might try to score a small circle through the finish just slightly larger than the hole I wanted which would hopefully stop it from chipping any farther than that point. Or I might just not worry about it.

Oh--I thought about the push/pull pot and don't really want it. For one, I wanted it so I could get either the north or south coil in addition to humbucking and as far as I've found there's no center-off push/pull pots which is what I need unless I wanted to do two push/pull pots. And, for two, I think the switch will look pretty cool.

oh agreed. i just thought you wanted only one...

when we do stuff with cars we use the sharpest bits we can use, usually use a super strong tape and actually drill through it.

also avoid putting weight onto the bit, the preasure can cause it to crack. let it drill out the material slowly.(but spinning highspeed) once your through the paint you should be fine.

and if it does chip alittle, most switches have a bevel abit larger then the hole to hide the edges..

Edited by Desopolis

With some soft or brittle woods, tape only helps a bit, and a cracked edge (wood or paint) is likely with any standard drill bit. There are bits made for this. They have spurs on the outside of the cutting faces designed cut the circumfrence of the hole BEFORE the center of the bit puts any real pressure on the wood. It's the only way to go, if you want to be sure. Mine are brad-pointd to keep the spurs from dancing across the work.