and a vast number of others

and this was edited because my dumbass forgot about Iron Maiden

as i play Phantom of the Opera and Stranger in a Strange Land

and To Tame a Land almost dialy

Edited by spazzyone

Steve vai - the audience is listening

John petrucci (dream theater) - Home

Brian May - All of it!!

Mark Tremonti (creed years) - Stand here with me, Inside us all (not really lead but i like it)

Dave Navarro (jane's addiction) - All of the older albums and 'the riches' ofs strays

S

Rush/Alex Lifeson - Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres - bridge between II: Apollo Bringer of Wisdom and III: Dionysus Bringer of Love :D

Rush/Alex Lifeson - La Villa Strangiato

Rush/Alex Lifeson - 2112 - VI: Soliloquy

Rush/Alex Lifeson - Chemistry

(are you noticing a trend here?) :D

Rush/Alex Lifeson - Xanadu

McAuley Schenker Group/Michael Schenker - I Don't Wanna Lose

McAuley Schenker Group/Michael Schenker - Rock 'Til You're Crazy

Dokken/George Lynch - Heaven Sent

Peter Frampton - Lines On My Face

Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do (the lines before he kicks in the talkbox)

for the rock stuff anything from these guy's

Ed VanHalen

Steve Vai

Joe Satch

Peter Frampton

santana

lynyrd skynyrd

and not to be forgotten TED NUGENT

for the blues

I like SRV

albert collins,bb king, laery MCcray, robben ford and buddy guy

when in the blues mood these player's play with a lot of soul.

country pickers

jerry read and Roy clark

this is hard to think of my favorite there are so many so where do you stop.

This Godless Endeavor / Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)

The Shortest Straw / Kirk Hammett (Metallica)

Master of Puppets / Kirk Hammett (Metallica)

Architect of Pain / Gary Holt (Exodus)

Domination / Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)

Floods / Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)

Shock Me (Alive II) / Ace Frehley (Kiss)

Rock & Roll All Nite (Alive) / Ace Frehely (Kiss)

:D

• 2 weeks later...

HA! I was going to be clever and say "Ones that work" but I realised that you meant solos and not guitar leads that you use to plug them in! DOH!

Mad Axe Attack - Aaron Jellum & Phil Kettner (Laaz Rockit) has always been a bit special, cos they were the first band I saw live many many years ago. Apart from that, anything by Gary Holt/Rick Hunolt from Exodus, Jeff Loomis of Nevermore, Chuck Schuldiner of Death and Gregor Mackintosh of Paradise Lost. plus of course, Joe Satriani.

Edited by Digideus

Anyone ever heard vintage Walter Becker?

Not just walter, but any of the Steely Dan guys...reeling in the years for instance is an amazing lead guitar song...

Personally I'm a major Jeff Beck fan, but I really love some one hit wonder where some unknown got something just right...I think we all have that in us but only a few of us get it on tape, let alone on record...

pete

Oh...and a lot is made of a featured solo spot, but an overall good guitar record is hard to beat...it's not all about "lead" playing...

• 3 weeks later...

I'll Be Around-Steve Vai easily the best Vai solo. Probably his peak tonality wise as well.

Blue-David Gilmour

Dogs-Pink Floyd (all of the solos!)

Face to Face-Shakti (The violin solo actually, the guitar isn't bad but I can't get enough of Lakshminarayana Shankar)

• 2 weeks later...

Deicide - Homage for Satan (jack owen)

Slayer - War Ensembly (kerry)

Metallica - Master of Puppets (kirk)

Nevermore - Final Product (jeff)

Symphony X - Smoke and Mirrors

Racer X - Technical Difficulties

Arch Enemy - Nemesis (all)

Cacophony - Speed Metal Symphony (whole song)

Children of Bodom - Needled 24/7 (alexi)

Rusty Cooley - All of his songs/leads

Dethklok - Cofee Jingle :D (its effin awesome!!!!)

Edited by 12056

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Beck is always cool

+1 for JB

But I dig the simple lead in (the original) Baker Street...

Stuff like this is great...I love a the personality and distinctive style of a Beck or Hendrix (love the solo in "Wind Crys Mary", lots to learn from in this one for solo construction) or Knophler, you really have to admire someone with a voice on the guitar... But every now and again a solo comes out like that one and heaps of others that really cut through and stir the soloing impulses...

I also like some simple lead lines that really suit the song though not so much a "solo"...things like the Pretender's "Back on the Chain Gang", and older stuff with Honeyman-Scott was nicely done...

I like the solos in some of Prince's stuff..."Coat of Pink Cashmere" is pretty cool, the solo plays off with a full orchestra, pretty darn cool. He's quite a good guitar player and can afford great bands too...

I've been listening to some of Roy Buchannan's stuff again lately..."The Messiah will come again" can bring a chill up your spine (if you ignore the spoken word part at the beginning)...

I really liked the Bluesbreaker's "beano album" with Eric Clapton...if you want to know what the hype is about this player, check out this album made when he was only 21...simply amazing...Defined the Les Paul/Marshall sound...

As well as Blues, I also like the Surf sound...often under-rated, they make great jamming songs and they are not so easy to write as you may think, even with it's distinctive formula (fender/reverb/double picking riffs and such)... New bands like the Merman and especially Slacktone are taking it to another level with some fantastic and difficult stuff...

You got to admire some of the shredders, especially Vai (Sisters is my fav I'd say) and Satch...but sometimes they can get a little gymnastic, almost stunt guitar...simple stuff can be just as hard to play...

One off the wall guitarist that I like is Alan Holdsworth...simply amazing and different from anything else, speed, technique and an incredible tonal vision...just don't expect your girlfriend to understand it :D

So many great guitar players...I wonder how many people really dig their own playing...I have heard tapes of my stuff from years ago that I really liked, is that wrong? :D

pete

Jeff Beck is always cool

+1 for JB

But I dig the simple lead in (the original) Baker Street...

Stuff like this is great...I love a the personality and distinctive style of a Beck or Hendrix (love the solo in "Wind Crys Mary", lots to learn from in this one for solo construction) or Knophler, you really have to admire someone with a voice on the guitar... But every now and again a solo comes out like that one and heaps of others that really cut through and stir the soloing impulses...

I also like some simple lead lines that really suit the song though not so much a "solo"...things like the Pretender's "Back on the Chain Gang", and older stuff with Honeyman-Scott was nicely done...

I like the solos in some of Prince's stuff..."Coat of Pink Cashmere" is pretty cool, the solo plays off with a full orchestra, pretty darn cool. He's quite a good guitar player and can afford great bands too...

I've been listening to some of Roy Buchannan's stuff again lately..."The Messiah will come again" can bring a chill up your spine (if you ignore the spoken word part at the beginning)...

I really liked the Bluesbreaker's "beano album" with Eric Clapton...if you want to know what the hype is about this player, check out this album made when he was only 21...simply amazing...Defined the Les Paul/Marshall sound...

As well as Blues, I also like the Surf sound...often under-rated, they make great jamming songs and they are not so easy to write as you may think, even with it's distinctive formula (fender/reverb/double picking riffs and such)... New bands like the Merman and especially Slacktone are taking it to another level with some fantastic and difficult stuff...

You got to admire some of the shredders, especially Vai (Sisters is my fav I'd say) and Satch...but sometimes they can get a little gymnastic, almost stunt guitar...simple stuff can be just as hard to play...

One off the wall guitarist that I like is Alan Holdsworth...simply amazing and different from anything else, speed, technique and an incredible tonal vision...just don't expect your girlfriend to understand it :D

So many great guitar players...I wonder how many people really dig their own playing...I have heard tapes of my stuff from years ago that I really liked, is that wrong? :D

pete

liking your own stuff is totally wrong and you should go now and punish yourself, repeatedly..LOL

I play around with cakewalk here at home, and I've done some things I thought were pretty cool too (but don't tell anyone!) B)

Edited by palecriminal