Strange Noissses

Lord-of-the-strings

Ok... well for some reason... when I play something on my high e string, I get this strange almost tremolo sound effect, it's faster on my bridge pickup and slower on the neck pickup and it only does this when I'm using any amount of gain. And I know it's not my pedals/amp because I've done it with other setup too with my guitar and it still does it. Maybe the pickups are too close to the string? Anyone know what this is/how to fix it?

Ok... well for some reason... when I play something on my high e string, I get this strange almost tremolo sound effect, it's faster on my bridge pickup and slower on the neck pickup and it only does this when I'm using any amount of gain. And I know it's not my pedals/amp because I've done it with other setup too with my guitar and it still does it. Maybe the pickups are too close to the string? Anyone know what this is/how to fix it?

this kind of question really gets my curiosity up. the first thing i thought of is what i call the sitar effect. it's more common in acoustic guitars where the saddle has been sanded down too short and the breakover angle of the string is too shallow. it could also be caused by an enlarged saddle slot or nut slot so i'm wondering how old the guitar is.

could you tell us what kind of guitar you're talking about, what kind of bridge you're using, etc.? also what size strings are you using and have you tried replacing the high e with another string or possibly replacing it with one size larger string? a lot of the time problems like this are solved by a process of elimination.

It doesn't sound like a sitar, more like... when you use your whammy bar and bend down a note and it kind of makes that warbly tremolo kind of sound, know what I mean? But it's 97 rg with a locking nut and lo-trs trem, it's never done this before, but it started after I changed strings a little while back, I've been using 9's on it since day one. But my guess is that it IS intonation. I'll have to check that out in a bit, thanks guys! :D