My Workshop Progress Thread

jammy

So you all have more money now than you think you will have after college?

Definatly.

At the moment living at home makes for a super cheap lifestyle!

When I start making some money and actually come to move out I fear I'll be far more skint.

As for the workshop - Expect some updates tonight guys :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what's going on with that dust collector, but.....if you can find a way to direct the outflow from the filter bag outdoors (so that the air is not blowing into your shop) you'll save yourself some potential long-term damage to your lungs.

These portable dust collectors do a pretty good job of filtering, but their efficiency at trapping stuff thats smaller than a few microns is not good at all. Just get one going on a sunny day and watch what floats out into the air through the filter. That's the stuff that will get stuck in your lungs and turn into pneumonia, emphysema or cancer down the road. You either need some ventilation to get that stuff out of the shop, or a good air handling system inside the shop to cycle the air and filter that stuff out with HEPA filters.

I'm not sure what's going on with that dust collector, but.....if you can find a way to direct the outflow from the filter bag outdoors (so that the air is not blowing into your shop) you'll save yourself some potential long-term damage to your lungs.

These portable dust collectors do a pretty good job of filtering, but their efficiency at trapping stuff thats smaller than a few microns is not good at all. Just get one going on a sunny day and watch what floats out into the air through the filter. That's the stuff that will get stuck in your lungs and turn into pneumonia, emphysema or cancer down the road. You either need some ventilation to get that stuff out of the shop, or a good air handling system inside the shop to cycle the air and filter that stuff out with HEPA filters.

It's a fine filter extractor, so I shouldn't have a problem. I'll post more pictures when I've got it mounted up on the wall (hopefully this evening)

Another little bit of progress - just ordered £130's worth of cutters for the pin router. Solid Carbide :D

It's a fine filter extractor, so I shouldn't have a problem.

OK, but does the manual actually say what that means in terms of particle filtration efficiency at 1 micron?

My Delta doesn't....it has a "1 micron filter bag" and damn, 1 micron sounds pretty small, cool....especially since they used to come with 30 micron bags. Then I see what passes through the filter on a sunny day, and I KNOW I don't want to be breathing that. So I park the dust collector out in the driveway.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

This should be required reading when it comes to dust collection in a pro workshop...provided you want to be building into your old age, I mean. Read every link; a lot of information yeah, but then you can at least make an informed choice (rather than a guess) about how many years you want to cut off the end of your earthly existence. :D

As they suffer from the same problem as these fine filter extractors - some very fine dust is blown back out into the atmosphere.

He reccomends that you should spend time/money on getting your extraction system right, saying if there's enough dust in the workshop's air to warrent a cleaner, something's wrong

Progress!

I've decided on a layout, and the dust extractor's on the wall.

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/workshop1.jpg

Thats looking from the back end of the shop down the left wall, the tool placments are finalised. Where the tools are stacked on the right by the front door will be my main bench area.

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/workshop2.jpg

That's from t'other end, up the same wall.

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/workshop3.jpg

That's the left wall if you're standing at the front door. Complete with dust extractor, gotta start "plumbing" tomorrow!

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/workshop4.jpg

And the most important bit - my new, free speakers, wallmouted around my floyd poster :D

Lookin' good :D

I'd disagree that air cleaners are almost pointless, in my case at least... I brought a Perform one from Axminster and it's one of the best things I've brought for my workshop. It depends the individual of course, but I use my belt sander a lot and I also route a lot of mdf, even with my Record dust extractor attached you get a lot of fine dust that you don't always see until the sunlight hits it.

My mate's dad's a joiner and was refitting a kitchen this week. Bingo - 5 free kitchen wall units! Solid Oak doors and everything!

workshopwall.jpg

I've also ordered all the ducting/joints/blast gates for the dust extraction today.

I'll be starting on a bench Wendnesday. Nearly done! :D

I'm so jealous of your workshop!! mine is the size of a medium B & Q wooden shed only in breeze block... dark side of the moon ey? that has GOT to be done!! nice one mate, you're workshop is amazing!! hope it starts paying for it's self soon :D :D

I'm so jealous of your workshop!! mine is the size of a medium B & Q wooden shed only in breeze block... dark side of the moon ey? that has GOT to be done!! nice one mate, you're workshop is amazing!! hope it starts paying for it's self soon :D :D

+1!

I'm already dead happy I've got most of a 3m x 2x shop (that's 10ft by 10ft for non-metric folk. Ish) to myself. Still waiting on the fluorescent lights, the VSD/phase converter for the big bad bandsaw, and a couple of bits of pine so I can assemble and bolt the main bench into place. Buying the dust collector, a press (for fretting), maybe a combo disk/belt sander on Saturday, if all goes to plan, and from December I've got about a month off, so I hope I can get a few instruments done!

Made me a bench tonight with the help of my mate Scott :D

Scored a nice record quick release vice for £30, and all the wood's from the old bench that was in the garage that was demolished to make place for the extension (the downstairs of which is my workshop).

I need to add an end vice for use with bench dogs, but other that that I'm chuffed! I quite enjoy 2x4 and screws joinery, a welcome change!

It's 2.11m long, and 80cm deep

bench.jpg

Nice bench...but isn't it a bit, like, low? I'm making mine 42" tall (105cm) to the worksurface, a little below my belly button, which makes most relatively fine work more comfortable, sitting at it with a tall stool perfect for detail work, and adding a 2-4" bench/shelf to stand on leaves it at the right height for stuff that requires putting my back into it (say, planing or similar). I've got the workmate for lower altitude stuff.

Other than that, lookin' great!