Filling In Holes On Guitar

echoes

hey guys, i got my bottlecap strat from my friend and i want to take out all the bottlecaps and somehow fill in the holes so i can repaint it so it looks normal. whats the best way to fill in the holes? i cant think of anything else to ask but if you need any more info on it, just ask me. all help is appreciated :D

I hate to say it but you are going to have to commit "bondocide" on your guitar. :D Can't think of anything else, just normal auto bondo, scree it in with a 2" wide putty knife. Then sand smooth, shoot a couple good coats of filler primer, sand smooth and then topcoat.

Edited by Southpa

Some thing i was told by my wood finishing teacher in college was that if you need to fill something, use car body filler - it doesn't shrink like wood filler does!! might be of some help :D

oh and if you are going to fill it, as weird as this may sound, bang some small flat headed nails into those holes, so that the filler wraps around the flat head and anchors and won't end up popping out on you (old cabinet maker's trick)

Use Quickwood epoxy wood filler. Get it at HD.

Holy crap, what a mess. Bondo is the way to go. Where a dust mask when you sand. The stuff is pretty smelly when you are working with it, but it is better than wood filler.. Good luck.

J

ok well heres what im dealing with... whats the best way to do this

000_1881.jpg

000_1882.jpg

id really like to do this project and have it looking good, id hate to go buy a new body because i really love this guitar

Holy crap, what a mess. Bondo is the way to go. Where a dust mask when you sand. The stuff is pretty smelly when you are working with it, but it is better than wood filler.. Good luck.

J

No matter what you use your looking at multiple fills to bring it up to level surface. You need something that won't shrink too much as well or else you will wind up with all these little discs falling out onto the floor. :D

I've used a really good filler thats widely applied in marine applications. Its a 50/50 mix (white + red = bubblegum pink) called "AWL-FAIR", an epoxy troweable fairing compound. It cures chemically and does not shrink, thats why its expensive. I've only seen it in gallon bucket kits, ie. 1 gal. white and 1 gal. red. When curing it gives off mucho heat and when cured its "workability" is very much like wood. You can sand it, drill it, tap it etc. and it holds screws well just like wood. Its also very light weight. You only have about 20 minutes to "work it" before it starts to harden and I swear it sticks like sh*t to a blanket once applied. :D

Edited by Southpa

To echo the posts above, either love it the way it is, or dump it for another body. :D

That body, long story short, is not a refin-worthy project unless you can find someone who can sand the top 1/8" off and you can lam a new 1/8" top onto it and refin it from there.

And even then, you'll have to know how to do a drop-top to make it work.

I'd fill it full of bottlecaps that YOU like and call it a day with that one. :D

I'd be tempted to plug all those holes with walnut or some contrasting wood and leave it clear.Might look stupid or might look good.Capping is another way but a ton of work.You could mill it with a router with a huge auxilliary base and a shooting box but would end up being as much work as making a new body.Bondo seems like a poor alternative.Depends on how much you want to save that body.I wonder if the guy who did that hesitated at the first hole and thought that it might be a bad idea?